Winter weather cancels weekend

Team wishes for competition, but cold ends tournament

Inclement weather has postponed weekend action for the IU softball team.\nIn the Louisville Tournament, the team's scheduled play was cancelled after a winter storm struck. IU was originally scheduled to play Kent State, Louisville, Miami (OH) and Indiana State. \nBecause the team's two previous tournaments were played in warm weather in New Mexico and South Florida, the Hoosiers (4-6) have yet to have a game canceled this season. The Hoosiers had a combined record of 30-7 against the scheduled matchups this weekend. \n"We are a little upset about the weather this weekend," coach Sara Hayes said. "Louisville runs a good tourney, but it gives our team a good time to reset."\nHeading into the weekend, IU had received stellar pitching from sophomore hurler Katie Witham who leads the team with a 1.69 ERA. But with a cancellation this weekend and much colder games to follow, Witham is aware of the challenges ahead.\n"We are just looking forward to playing," Witham said. "However, I do think it will take us a little time to adjust to the cold."\nWhile senior catcher Stormy Hanson continues to lead the team in nearly every offensive category, freshman Lauren Hines is first on the team with a .476 batting average. \nAfter starting the season 3-2, IU dropped four out of five games in the South Florida tournament.\n"I think we were more ready in the New Mexico tournament," Hines said. "We were still gloating from the weekend in New Mexico."\nThe Hoosiers are next slated to play in the Charleston Southern tournament in Charleston, S.C., next weekend against Furman, Stony Brook, Savannah State and Central Florida.