Team ready for Big Ten competition

The No. 22 IU men's swimming and diving team (8-1, 5-1 Big Ten) is traveling up to Ann Arbor, Mich., this weekend for the second time this season to compete at the Big Ten Championships. Earlier this year, IU was defeated by Michigan in a dual meet 174.5-122.5. \nThis time, the Hoosiers will not only be facing the Wolverines, but also the rest of the Big Ten. Last year, IU hosted the Big Tens at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center, but had a disappointing seventh place finish. First year coach Ray Looze said he believes that Minnesota will be the favorite with Michigan and Wisconsin following closely behind. But, he said the Hoosiers could place fourth or fifth depending on their performance. \n"Realistically, the highest we could place is third," senior Dave Schulze said. "It is such a close and competitive conference that we could finish anywhere from third to seventh. It's really too close to tell."\nSchulze, juniors Claes Andersson and Matt Leach, and sophomore Murph Halasz are all seeded among the top eight in their respective events heading into the championships. IU is also ranked among the top three teams in the 200-yard freestyle relay and the 200-yard medley relay.\nThe Hoosiers have been resting and fine-tuning in practice over the past couple weeks to prepare for the championship. The team hasn't had a competitive meet since a Feb. 8 127-116 win over Purdue.\nLooze said he hopes that at least four swimmers will qualify for the NCAA Championships in individual events this weekend. He said he is also optimistic one or two relays could qualify for NCAAs.\n"We have gotten better with each and every meet," Looze said. "This is our last team meet so I am hoping it will be a competition where we don't make any mistakes and at least 90 percent of the team has season best times."\nThe diving team is ready for competition this weekend as well. Coach Jeff Huber said six divers will be competing and have been rehearsing their competitive dives during practice in the last couple weeks. Huber said they have also simulated actual competition by having each diver go through their entire list of dives and receive scores for each of them. He added that this gives the divers a better sense of where they are at and where they need to be. \n"I think everybody looks a lot better than they did at the beginning of the year," Huber said. "We're ready for this meet, but we'll find out afterwards how we do." \nThe Hoosiers struggled on the one-meter event during dual meet action this season. But Huber said the team has worked on that and should be ready for the Big Ten's in all three events. \nJunior All-American Marc Carlton and senior Adam Hazes will be leading the way for the Hoosier diving contingent. Carlton finished second on platform, fifth on the one-meter, and seventh on the three-meter at the 2002 Big Ten Championships. Hazes finished fourth on three-meter and eighth on one-Meter at last year's meet and should also be a point scorer for the Hoosiers. \nThe University of Michigan will be playing host to the Big Ten Feb. 27 to March 1 at the Canham Natatorium.