Team gains confidence, looks for third win in a row

First came a win against Iowa in Assembly Hall 89-68. Then it was the surprise ending at Wisconsin 49-48 that gave the women's basketball team a two game winning streak. They look to continue the streak when they play Northwestern (7-17, 2-11 Big Ten) tonight at the Welsh-Ryan Arena in Evanston, Ill.\nIU (11-11, 4-8) last met this Northwestern team at Assembly Hall and defeated the Wildcats 62-52. It was a game where three Hoosiers scored in double figures.\nCoach Kathi Bennett said playing Northwestern over a month later has both teams playing new ball games. Northwestern's two Big Ten wins this season have been against Michigan and Michigan State. Bennett said Northwestern is a confident team, especially on their home court but she believes her team can dominate when they arrive.\n"We're really looking to end the season good and this win would be big for us at this point," Bennett said. "We've just got to come out and play hard at the beginning of both halves. How we started out at Wisconsin is how we've got to play again."\nThe Hoosiers started that game on a 17-1 run in their road win against a massive Wisconsin team. They proved their ability to defend large size and their ability to shoot the ball well. Contributing to the team success was freshman Cyndi Valentin. \nValentin said she plans to do her best on the court against Northwestern.\n"My best is all I can do and as long as I am working hard out there I can try and help the team," Valentin said.\nValentin recorded a career high 23 points against the Badgers but scored only eight points the last time she played against the Wildcats. With the loss of freshman Kali Kullberg due to a torn ACL, Valentin said she has been forced to step up her game and improve.\nSenior Lisa Eckart said it was exciting to win at Wisconsin in front of lots of friends and family members, but that the team needs to remember not to get too comfortable with their last two wins.\n"Coach has still really been on us to keep improving and getting better," Eckart said. "We're not as confident as we could be because we've still got a ways to go."\nOne factor against the Hoosiers is the loss of freshman Brigett Branson for the Northwestern game. Branson suffered a serious sprain to her ankle just minutes into the Wisconsin game. Bennett said she should be back for their home game against Michigan on Sunday.\nBut it's possible that Kullberg will be returning. Kullberg suffered her ACL injury in December and is already looking at a possibility of coming back.\n"She's just amazing in her ability to overcome her injury," Bennett said. "We'd love to have her back for the Big Ten Tournament, but I could even see her coming back for the Illinois game."\nBefore thinking about the Big Ten Tournament or the Illinois game in March, the team first has to record a victory against Northwestern.\n"This is a very driven team," Bennett said. "I know I've said it before, but I believe in them and I think we only get better everyday"