Professor named to Microsoft panel

Expert on Internet law one of 19 US researchers named to advisory board

A distinguished IU professor is one of 19 Internet security and privacy researchers from around the world chosen for an academic advisory board created by technology giant Microsoft Corp.\nFred Cate, expert on Internet law, copyright law and communication law at the IU School of Law, has been named to the company's Trustworthy Computing Academic Advisory Board. The board advises Microsoft on security, privacy and reliability issues associated with the company's products and technology.\nCate said the board's role will be to use its members' expertise to make an early read into product and technology pitfalls. The group is part of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing initiative, which Cate said is an effort to make products more sensitive to consumer issues. \nThe board will not give seals of approval for products, he said, but compared his job to a taste-tester for a new food product. He said the board's impact will depend on how much the company heeds its advice.\n"Microsoft makes a lot of products that affect security," Cate said. "What we're hoping to do is help Microsoft avoid some of the public mishaps of the past."\nMicrosoft settled with the federal government in Aug. 2002, concerning their Passport Internet program. A Federal Trade Commission investigation concluded that false promises were made by the company regarding consumer information. Cate said the board's creation was both a reactionary and preventive measure.\n"There certainly have been well publicized incidents where Microsoft has unveiled products and bright young students say, 'we can hack into this'," Cate said, adding that he believes the move will put the company ahead of the curve.\nThe board's first meeting took place Feb. 20, but Cate was unable to attend. The board holds three meetings each year, which Cate said will not interfere with his teaching and research. He said appointment to this position will give him a chance to meet with leading academics in his field.\n"You want to know what other people are teaching, and you want to know what other people are researching," Cate said.\nFrom the Big Ten, Purdue University professor Eugene Spafford and Ohio State University's Peter Swire were also selected to the board. Cate said there are many topics the board will discuss in future meetings.\n"A very hot topic is terrorism," Cate said. "We are so computer dependent, but we are so vulnerable to attacks in the form of breaking into systems or using viruses."\nCate said he did not apply for the position and still is unsure if he was nominated. He said there are not many academics specializing in his field and his research made him familiar with all the board members even prior to their selection.\nMark Bruhn, information technology policy officer for University Information Technology Services, collaborates with Cate on cyber-crime and copyright issues. He said Cate's experience makes him more than qualified for the position.\n"He is very engaged, very interested, very professionally capable and well respected not just in law but certainly elsewhere," Bruhn said. "He is one of those guys that people look to for expertise in these areas."\nJournalism professor Jon Dilts, who teaches media law and has studied First Amendment law extensively, said Cate is an excellent choice for the Microsoft board.\n"He is very experienced and has written a great deal about privacy rights," Dilts said. "He is a great teacher and a remarkable scholar."\nCate said the board members will be paid a small sum not based on whether they agree or disagree. He said the board members are not participating for the money.\n"This is an unusual thing to try, everyone is thinking, 'Let's give this a try and see if Microsoft is serious,'" Cate said. "One things academics do is criticize really well, and Microsoft is giving us the chance to do that with their products"