No. 17 Hoosiers continue indoor season in Indy

Travel complications lead team to run local Canon IV Classic

This weekend the No. 17 men's track and field team continues its indoor season with the Canon IV Classic in Indianapolis. The team was originally scheduled to travel to Arkansas this weekend, but problems with the plane tickets led coach Marshall Goss to decide to stay in-state and run in this meet.\nIn the past, Goss said he did not usually like the Canon IV Classic due to the venue in which it was held. This year, the setting is quite different for the meet. It has been moved from downtown Indianapolis to the Plainfield area where it will be held in a huge warehouse.\nThe Hoosiers are coming off an impressive performance at home last weekend from the Indiana Invitational. Team scores were not kept, but for the most part, individuals were pleased with their performances.\n"When we had as many (personal records) as we did, there's going to be a lot more confidence and everyone's going to feel better going out there," junior Mike Minton said.\nThe team has focused primarily on strength in their training up to this point. Now, with the Big Ten Championships looming around the corner, the training has started to come down so that the marks improve.\nThe Indiana Invitational was highlighted by victories in six events. Sophomore Aarik Wilson remained unbeaten in the triple jump, junior Rodney Hollis set a new school record in the 600-meter dash and sophomore John Jefferson ran a 4:04 in the mile. He said he hopes to get even closer to four minutes this weekend.\n"These meets help when it gets time for Big Tens," Hollis said. "It's very competitive, so racing against these guys helps you when you need to run in a big time meet."\nGoss said the meet will be used as just another chance to compete. Some of the athletes who have been competing every weekend and have already made their marks will not participate, while other athletes with less experience this season will.\n"We'll just kind of use it as a mix up meet," Goss said. "Off for some people, on for others."\nThe team has been back to competing well for the last two weeks after a stumble at Purdue where they lost to both the Boilermakers and Ohio State. Since then, they dominated a four-way meet at Illinois and performed well last week. They hope to keep the momentum in their favor for the Big Ten Championships, which is March 1 and 2 at Illinois.\nNo team score will be kept at the Canon IV Classic. The two-day meet will begin this afternoon and resume Saturday.