IU sweeps last home series

IU ended its regular season on a high note this weekend with a sweep of Robert Morris College. The wins were the Hoosiers' last home games of the season before leaving for Anaheim, Calif., this week to compete in the American Collegiate Hockey Association Division-II National Championship tournament.\nThe Hoosiers got up early Friday when freshman forward Matt Heseman scored his first goal of the season. Robert Morris answered in the first with a power-play goal.\nGraduate student Tom Orr put IU ahead again before the end of the first, but again the Eagles responded with a second power-play goal on their second chance. \n"I told the guys there should be no way we give up a power-play goal all weekend, and sure enough, they score on the first couple chances they got," IU coach Rich Holdeman said.\nThe Hoosiers responded with a five-goal barrage to end the second, and the Hoosiers added two in the third to win 9-2. Sophomore forward David Ravensberg scored three goals and junior defenseman David Standa earned four assists.\nSaturday IU scored early and held the Eagles scoreless until they established a three-goal lead. Senior defenseman Joe Rogers had a goal and an assist and senior goaltender Charlie Pulley earned the win in net on IU's senior night.\nIU was the only Great Midwest Hockey League team in action this weekend. The other five teams rested during the weekend between the GMHL and ACHA tournaments. Junior forward David Dassel said the games helped the team get ready for nationals.\n"Obviously it was a bit of a risk," Dassel said. "But we were on the ice in a game situation so it helped us stay on top of our game."\nThe Hoosiers escaped the weekend injury and suspension free. Holdeman said the coaching staff decided to bench every player that had minor injuries.\n"It was a perfect situation for us," Holdeman said "They played clean, and we were able to get a good tune-up game without injuries or disqualifications."\nIU will leave for Anaheim Tuesday to gear up for Thursday's first-round matchup against Oakland University.\n"Everybody is ready to go," Pulley said. "It's a young team, and there's a lot of energy and excitement in the locker room"