IU returns home to Hoosier Hills Open

IU women's track and field coach Randy Heisler said he is looking for big performances from all of his athletes this Saturday as the team hosts the Hoosier Hills Open. \n"It would send us into the conference on a high note if we have a good performance," he said. \nThe No. 8 squad will remain at IU March 1 and 2 for the Big Ten Championships, and Heisler said being at home should help the team both this Saturday and next weekend. At the Indiana Invitational, the last home meet, the athletes achieved 31 season bests.\n"I'm hopeful of the same atmosphere (for this weekend)," Heisler said. "The team needs the whole team to step up this week, so next week we can be even better."\nSenior Danielle Carruthers said she acknowledges that, at this point in the season, the focus shifts from personal performance to team performance.\n"Now I have to put myself out there for the team," she said. \nSo far in the season, Carruthers has done her part for the team by being a major point-scorer in the 60-meter hurdles as well as the 60- and 200-meter dashes. Carruthers has also qualified automatically for the NCAA Indoor Championships for the 60-meter hurdles and provisionally for the 60-meter dash. \nHer teammate, senior Rachelle Boone, has also made significant contributions to the team as one of the leading sprinters in the country. Boone has qualified automatically for both the 60- and 200- meter dashes. Her time in the 60 is the fourth fastest in the nation, and her 200 time is the eighth best in the nation.\nHeisler emphasized the importance of the distance runners stepping up and filling the gap that has existed this season. \n"We need four or five of the distance girls to be in scoring position," Heisler said, specifically mentioning sophomore Mindy Peterson, juniors Audrey Geisler and Becky Obrecht and freshman Jessica Gall.\nSophomore Larra Overton, an 800-meter runner, said the distance runners are on the right track for stepping up to fill the gap. \n"Everyone individually has done well," she said. "It's just a matter of everyone coming out and performing well on the same day."\nOverton said running at home this weekend will prove beneficial in preparing for the conference meet.\n"It will be really nice to run on our track before Big Tens, especially because we are hosting it," she said. \nThe Hoosier Hills Open will begin at noon Saturday in the Gladstein Fieldhouse.