IU outmatched by Tennessee

After a loss a team can say they lost because they didn't play well, they struggled or just didn't get the job done. But in most cases like Saturday's match at No. 11 ranked Tennessee (7-2), the better team wins.\nThe numbers prove it. IU was swept in both singles and doubles and lost 7-0. Not one Hoosier forced play into the third set in either singles or doubles. \nOnly junior Martina Grimm was able to even play in a tie-breaker for IU, which lost its fourth straight decision and dropped below .500 for the first time this spring (5-6, 0-2 in the Big Ten). Grimm, who dropped to 16-9 in singles on the season, lost the tie-breaker in the first set 7-5 and eventually lost her second set 6-3 to Lady Vols freshman Melissa Schaub. Coach Lin Loring was somewhat pleased with Grimm's play, but not the team's as a whole.\n"Martina's singles match was the highlight of the day," Loring said in a statement. "I felt like we played flat and didn't compete as well as we have in past matches." \nIU could have at least hoped for a victory from their No. 28 ranked doubles team of senior Karie Schlukebir and junior Linda Tran. But the duo was easily ousted by the No. 22 tandem of Tennessee senior Vilmarie Castellvi and Schaub 8-1.\nTran was also the unlucky IU player who had to face Castellvi at No. 1 singles. Tran dropped the first set 6-0 but fought hard in a close second set that she eventually lost 6-4. Castellvi, the No. 4 singles player in the country, improved to 8-1 in spring dual match singles and 23-4 overall for the season.\n"Overall, I do not think the team performed to the level that we are capable of performing at," Tran said. "It wasn't just a few players that were flat, it was the whole team, and I am not exactly sure why. ... maybe it's because we have played so many matches within a few weeks time. We are a better team then we give ourself credit for." \nWith Saturday's victory, the Lady Vols now hold an 11-10 advantage over the Hoosiers in the all-time series. IU dropped a 7-0 battle to Tennessee at home last season in Bloomington making it back to back sweeps the past two years by the Knoxville natives.\n"Well, Melissa started serving first in the tiebreaker, which was an advantage because she had a great serve.," Grimm said of her doubles match. "Overall, I think we both played well so that it was only one or two shots which made the difference."\nIU returns to action this Saturday, at the IU Tennis Pavilion. The Hoosiers host non-conference foes DePaul Blue Demons and the Butler Bulldogs in back to back matches. IU will take on DePaul at 9:30 a.m. followed with a 2:30 p.m. match against in-state rival Butler.\n"It's just been difficult playing without some of our top players and playing against some of the top teams in the country," Tran said. "We have had a tough schedule to open the season to, and hopefully we will be able to turn it around within the next few matches"