Former softball player evolves into track star

Senior becoming a leader on the track

When IU women's track and field coach Randy Heisler visited Bloomington North to recruit new athletes, he didn't plan on discovering current senior thrower Kelley McKinney.\nHeisler happened upon McKinney during her senior year in high school, which was actually the first season that the former softball player chose to join the track team. Heisler said he was impressed by the fact that she'd just learned the skill of throwing and was still competitive. \nMcKinney walked on to the IU team her freshman year, and Heisler immediately knew that he had something special. \n"It became apparent right away that she's a good athlete," he said. "You always wish you had a student like that just walk in."\nMcKinney said starting out as a walk-on was tough at first, but made her work harder. \n"When I came in as a freshman, I was (kind of) nothing and I'm a really competitive person," she said. \nAfter trying javelin and shot put, McKinney finally found her niche in the weight and hammer throws. She has consistently improved each season and finished fourth in the conference in the weight throw last year. \nHeisler said the beginning of the season was a bit shaky for McKinney, but she has stepped up her performances lately, starting two weeks ago in the meet against Illinois. In that meet, McKinney threw her season best, winning the 20 pound weight throw. \n"She decided 'OK -- it's time to throw,'" he said. \nMcKinney said she plans to continue to improve her throws and prove her skills by winning the weight throw at the Big Ten Championships and qualifying for Nationals. \n"I really want to get on that nationals list," she said. \nHeisler said he believes McKinney's goals are well within reach.\n"I'm excited for her," he said. "I wouldn't be surprised if she placed first at Big Tens."\nAs a senior, McKinney said she is particularly motivated to do well.\n"It hit me all at once when meets started," she said. "It's my last chance to be an athlete. After this, there's no more."\nFreshman thrower Andrea Dalla Rosa said she realizes she can learn a lot from McKinney.\n"She's been there and done that, so I can learn from what she's been through," she said. "I look up to her a lot." \nDalla Rosa said McKinney has been a great inspiration for the team because "her presence is very positive."\nShe added that McKinney's leadership is integral to the team.\n"She shows leadership, and not everyone can pull that off," she said. "She's a great leader for us"