Yeagley to retire after next year

Legendary soccer coach announces decision after 40 years at IU

40 years, 11 trips to the college cup championship, 5 national titles, and one more year to go. Men's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley has decided to call it quits after the 2003 season. \n"It's nothing that just popped up overnight," Yeagley said in an interview with soccertimes.com. "There are no extenuating circumstances. My health is good. We've got a great young team. My passion is as great as it's ever been. I've got a dream job that I love going to every day, but next year will be 41 years."\nYeagley, one of the greatest in soccer coaching history, has amassed an impressive 527-98-40 overall record. With just 17 more wins, coach Yeagley will overtake Stephen Negoesco as the all-time winningest soccer coach. \nYeagley's coaching prowess has prepared his players for competition in professional soccer leagues.\n"He's one of the best soccer coaches in the United States," said former player Ryan Mack, who was taken in the third round of the Major League Soccer draft this year. "Playing under him gives you a view what top soccer coaches want, so I know exactly what will be expected of me in the major leagues."\nSoccertimes.com also reported that Yeagley recommended assistant coach Mike Freitag to be elevated to head coach after his departure. \nPlayer respect for Yeagley spans over soccer and life in general.\n"Without him, I wouldn't be the person I am, either on the field or off the field. I wouldn't be where I am without his guidance," former player Pat Noonan said.\nSee Monday's Indiana Daily Student newspaper for the full story.