Wrestlers limp into Big Ten opener

Injuries to Matthews, Dubuque could hurt Hoosiers

As the wrestling squad prepares for tonight's Big Ten season opener, they will have to do so without 184-pound junior Ty Matthews. Matthews is undefeated in the 184-pound weight class this year and held the No. 19 ranking in the country at that weight. Matthews was going to face 184-pound Penn State senior Mark Becks, who holds the No. 4 ranking in the nation, but now the Hoosiers will likely turn to freshman Andy Rios.\n"Ty's out, he hurt his knee in practice (on Tuesday)," coach Duane Goldman said. "It's a disappointing to us because that would have been a huge swing match for us and it would have been a good test for Ty."\nCompounding the health problem for IU is 125-pound freshman Joe Dubuque's bad knee. Last weekend, Dubuque's knee forced him out of all for 125-pound bouts. Since Dubuque is the team's only 125-pounder, the Hoosiers were forced to forfeit all 125-pound bouts. His status for tonight remains unclear.\n"Dubuque's still day-to day," Goldman said. "But we're hoping he'll be ready."\nThese injuries are bad news for the Hoosiers who have relied on strong performances from a few wrestlers to offset the inconsistencies of some of the more inexperienced wrestlers. With Matthews out and Dubuque questionable, the Hoosiers will need some of the younger wrestlers to step up.\n"For most of the season, we've had five guys towing the line for us," Goldman said. "Now some of the younger guys that did an excellent job last weekend will have to come through."\nOne of the "younger wrestlers" mentioned by Goldman is 149-pound freshman Matt Cooper. Cooper had a breakthrough performance after going 3-0 last Saturday in IU's four team meet against Missouri Valley, Eastern Michigan, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. Cooper said he is looking to improve during the rest of the season.\n"I'm looking forward to keep getting better and getting through the Big Ten season," Cooper said. "I can only improve from here."\nThe Hoosiers will need strong performances throughout their lineup as tonight's meet against Penn State is shaping up as match pitting strength versus strength.\n"We match up very well against Penn State," sophomore Pat DeGain said. "It's just going to come down to who wants it more."\nGoldman said the two teams are evenly matched.\n"Where we're strong, they're strong and where we're weaker, they're weaker," he said.\nWithout Matthews and possibly Dubuque, two of IU's strengths now seem a little bit weaker. The meet begins at 7 p.m. in University Gym.