Women fall to 2-2 record in Big Ten following loss

Poor shooting heads to disappointing loss for Hoosiers

The women's basketball team's last four meetings with Michigan State were in IU's favor, but a trip to East Lansing Thursday night handed the team a loss to the Spartans. An ugly 70-34 was the final score of the game that left the Hoosiers with a 9-5 record, 2-2 in the Big Ten. Michigan State improved to 9-6 overall, 2-2 in the conference.\nThe first half set the tone for the game as the Hoosiers went into the locker room down by 23 with a halftime score of 35-12. The Spartans were out rebounding the Hoosiers 25-12, and the Hoosiers were making only 15 percent from the field. That figure only improved to 26 percent from the field in the second half.\nIndiana's full-court press the second half was unsuccessful. With 7:50 left in the second half, IU was down 60-23. With help from seniors Lisa Eckart and Allison Skapin, IU was able to come within 26 of the Spartans but never got closer. Skapin led the Hoosiers in scoring with 10 points.\nIU looks to pick up their first road win back in Michigan against the University of Michigan Wolverines at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. The last meeting between the two teams was last Jan. 20 when the Hoosiers fell in Ann Arbor at the Crisler Arena, 68-55. Michigan has a current record of 9-5, 0-3 in the Big Ten.\nIU women's basketball freshman guard/forward April Williams tore the medial ligament in her knee in practice the other day. She is expected to be out in three to five weeks. The 6-feet Williams has seen action in five games this year and posted a career-high eight points in a loss to Florida State on Dec. 3. She recorded 1,800 career points at Covington High School in Covington, Tex.