Unhappy holidays for Davis, Hoosiers

Once again, IU men's basketball coach Mike Davis had his holidays ruined by the Kentucky Wildcats.\nBut it wasn't just the loss that gave him the heartache, it was the threat of a six-game suspension, and ultimate one-game suspension that loomed over his head in the days following the game. Davis missed the IU game against Ball State on New Year's Eve.\n"I have a 17-year-old son and I feel like every one of these basketball players are my boys and if something ever happened to them, I'm going to step up and fight for them," Davis said, following the suspension. "At the same time though, if they do something wrong, there is a process and punishment that you have to accept."\nDavis was reprimanded by the Big Ten over the holiday break for his tirade against a Kentucky game official in the final seconds of the match-up. Davis thought freshman guard Bracey Wright was fouled on his drive to the basket for a shot that would have given IU the lead with 10 seconds left in the game.\nDavis was given two technical fouls for going out on the court and berating the official. For the first time in his career at IU, Davis was thrown out of the game. And Kentucky sealed a victory with five free throw shots, including four from the technical fouls. IU lost its first game of the season 70-64.\n"I think this matter has gotten a lot of press and has some way affected our team," interim athletics director Terry Clapacs said. "I think our team's play at Temple at some degree was a result of the fact that there had been a lot of attention paid to this matter. For us at Indiana, the matter is now closed and certainly closed following the game at Ball State tomorrow."

IU vs. Temple, Dec. 29\nWhile awaiting news of Davis' punishment, the Hoosiers traveled to Philadelphia to face Temple. But with talk of a possible suspension swirling around, IU dropped its second straight game of the season to the Owls 71-64. It was only the second victory for Temple, while IU's record dropped to 8-2.\n"The Temple game was another game I cost this team," Davis said. "I didn't coach that game with any passion and my team played that way. I think emotionally, they go out and follow my lead and they did so at Temple."\nThe Hoosiers, led by Wright with 17, had a five-point lead at the half, but were unable to hold onto it. After relinquishing the lead, IU only led once more before falling to Temple.

IU vs. Ball State, Dec. 31\nWith Davis watching the game from his home in Bloomington, the Hoosiers, led by assistant coach John Treloar, stopped the two game losing streak with a decisive victory over the Ball State Cardinals, 76-62.\nLed by Wright, who had his second 31-point game of the season, IU overcame a small Cardinal lead and overall close game to up its winning record to nine, with two losses. Also contributing was senior forward Jeff Newton who had his seventh double-double, with 11 points and 10 rebounds.\n"It's been a distraction for everybody, and we're glad it's over,'' Treloar said about Davis' suspension. "It's tough enough with young kids and to go out and win games against tough competition without distractions."

IU vs. Charlotte, Jan. 4\nIn their final game before the start of the Big Ten season, the Hoosiers held on against Charlotte to extend its winning streak to two games, and its home game win streak to four. IU beat the 49ers 70-60. IU finished the non-conference 10-2.\nIU was behind only one time in the game, and that was just under three minutes into the first half. But after going into the half with a 14-point lead, the Hoosiers let the 49ers come back, but not much. \nLed by Wright, who had 17, IU didn't let Charlotte get any closer than a 10-point gap. Senior guards Kyle Hornsby and Tom Coverdale also contributed with 13 points apiece.\n"I thought we relaxed at the end of the game and turned the ball over a lot," Davis said. "To be up 17 or 18 with three minutes to go in the game was a good sign for us, but we're still not playing with the intensity that I want us to play with"