Setting up the Big Ten race

Who needs Vegas? I'm not a gambling man myself, but I've decided to set my own odds for the Big Ten title race, just for fun. However, if you would like to send some money to my "offshore account," maybe we can arrange something. (I also have a great moneymaking deal from this Nigerian guy that e-mailed me).\nIllinois -- 5:3. The Illini have unfortunately emerged as the favorites heading into the Big Ten season. Senior forward Brian Cook is averaging 21.7 points per game, and freshman guard Dee Brown will give Bracey Wright a run for his money for Freshman of the Year. If they beat IU in Bloomington, the Big Ten is for the taking, provided they don't choke.\nIU -- 2:1. The Ohio State game was an aberration. Maybe. IU has the most talented squad in the conference, and if they start playing like they did before the Kentucky game, they should be able to vie for at least a share of the title.\nMinnesota -- 10:1. The Gophers lost a rare home game to Illinois to start their Big Ten season. Don't expect anyone else to beat them at Williams Arena, aka "The Barn." They have played four ranked teams -- but they're 1-3 in those games. If this isn't their year, sophomores Rick Rickert and Maurice Hargrow should have the Gophers on top sometime in the future.\nMichigan State -- 15:1. Once again, the national media kissed Tom Izzo's posterior and picked the Spartans to win the Big Ten. Ha ha ha. These guys lost to Purdue and Iowa. However, the Spartans may have played the toughest non-conference schedule in the Big Ten, which could help them later on.\nPurdue -- 20:1. Guess what? Gene Keady isn't washed up. (Neither is his comb over). The Boilermakers are a solid dark horse pick to surprise a lot of people. At the very least, they should be NCAA Tournament bound this year. They are the only team that has beaten Louisville this year, and are poised to make some noise.\nWisconsin -- 20:1. Another Big Ten co-champ a year ago. They embarrassingly lost to Michigan to begin the Big Ten schedule. But the Badgers still have that plucky Kiwi, Kirk Penney, leading the way at guard. Unlike IU, they were able to win at Temple.\nOhio State -- 25:1. Could the Buckeyes win the Big Ten basketball and football titles in the same year? That wouldn't be fair. Of course, Illinois did it last year, except nobody noticed. The Buckeyes have played three Top Ten teams this year, and got killed each time. But the underrated Jim O'Brien always has his teams ready for the Big Ten.\nIowa -- 50:1. Sure, the Hawkeyes have won 10 games, including their first two Big Ten games. This alone is more than I expected out of Steve Alford's troops this year -- they entered the year with a nine-man roster. At least they have worked their way up to 11 players now. Maybe this year they will do the opposite of their incredible fold in the Big Ten last season.\nMichigan -- 75:1. After starting the season 0-6, including losses to Central and Western Michigan (Egad!), the Wolverines have won nine straight. Senior guard LaVell Blanchard has played great ball, and freshman guard Daniel Horton is developing quickly. But even if Michigan miraculously wins the Big Ten … it doesn't matter. Probation must suck.\nPenn State -- 1,000:1. Only nine months until football season.\nNorthwestern -- 1,000,000:1. "Yes! A million to one! So you're saying there's still a chance?" Yes, that's from "Dumb and Dumber." Which is how every coach feels when he leaves Evanston because he can never get another job. The Wildcats have never been to the NCAA Tournament. But if they play their cards right, maybe they can work into the NIT this year. At least junior guard Jitim Young has the coolest name in the Big Ten.