Rowdy Purdue crowd hurts Hoosiers

Keady: 'The crowd really helped us today'

WEST LAFAYETTE -- The IU men's basketball team had long since left the Mackey Arena floor, but the Purdue team and its fans were still celebrating.\nThe Boilermakers upset the No. 14 Hoosiers 69-47, and were at half court afterwards congratulating each other. Similar to the atmosphere the entire game, the crowd was roaring with approval.\nBefore, during and after the routing of the ranked IU team, the Purdue fans made their presence known, motivating the Boilermakers (12-4, 4-1) while relentlessly cheering against the Hoosiers (14-4, 4-2).\n"I thought the energy from the crowd was great," Purdue coach Gene Keady said. "It was nice to see we had it. The crowd really helped us today. It was a good, fun victory."\nThe Purdue student section, placed directly behind and on the side of the Hoosiers' bench, taunted IU from the beginning. Clad in matching gold shirts, the students cheered for Purdue during the announcing of the players, but held up "Beat Indiana" signs when the Hoosiers were introduced.\nBut it wasn't just the "Beat Indiana" signs that the student section displayed. "We still have Dane Fife" read one sign, while another read "Cover-Girl," in reference to senior guard Tom Coverdale. \n"They were really into the game. They were like the sixth man out there," freshman guard Marshall Strickland said. "It made it a really tough place to play. It is such a big game for us because of the rivalry, (and the crowd) really was a factor."\nThe Hoosiers didn't just fall prey to being teased by signs, they were the subject of many less-than-favorable cheers.\nWhen IU was down by eight with just under 12 minutes left in the first half, the student section started in on Hoosier coach Mike Davis. "We want Knight," and "Bring back Bobby," became two favorite cheers of the crowd as Purdue took and held onto a favorable lead.\nBut the crowd also used chants that were arguably tasteless. When Coverdale picked up his third foul with just over 10 minutes left to play in the game, the crowd started yelling "Alcoholic." One of the fans held up a sign that read "Absolut Coverdale," linking the guard to the alcoholic beverage.\n"The only thing I have to say about that is that I don't think you would see our crowd doing that," Coverdale said. "(The crowd) had nothing to do with (the loss.) They didn't score a point. We just didn't come out and play hard.\n"Basically the only thing I have to say is that we have to find a way to play harder or we are not going to be able to compete."\nThe merciless Purdue fans are only the beginning of what the Hoosiers face. The next two of the three road games anticipate crowds similar to Saturday's.\nThe Michigan State student section includes the "Iz-Zone," known for its rowdy students, and the Louisville fans are enjoying the success of its top 10-ranked team. \nAfter being embarrassed by Purdue and its fans, the Hoosiers admitted they have to find a way to take out the crowd as a factor and play with the same focus they have in Bloomington.\n"(Purdue) is probably the loudest place to play in the Big Ten as far as the atmosphere and the acoustics in the gym," freshman forward Sean Kline said. "The way we play at home, we have to find out how to play the same way, with the same intensity from within ourselves on the road"