Lecture inspires writers

Annual Literary Symposium provides opportunities to write

Attention aspiring writers and avid readers: Now is the chance to discover where real life writers get their inspiration and their talent. Elite members of the Creative Writing Program are preparing to spill the secrets of their success at the Annual Bloomington Area Arts Council-IU Literary Symposium tomorrow.\nThese six award winning writers will hold a free workshop called "A Search for Form: Poets and Writers on Vision and Revision." The writers will be speaking in the Rose Firebay theater of the John Waldron Arts Center as part of the opening festivities of Arts Week 2003. The workshop promises free advice to all amateur writers from the Bloomington community who never had the chance to improve on their craft. \nThis is the second year for the literary workshop. The first symposium was held at the beginning of Arts Week last year. \nThe idea for the event was originally conceived by Kumble Subbaswamy, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.\n"I started with the premise that we are all closet writers," Subbaswamy said. "I thought it might be of interest to have a one-day workshop with some of the great writers we have here."\nIn addition to learning about professional writing, the symposium audience will also get the first glance at the 2003 "One Book, One Bloomington." Beginning last year, a title was chosen to be the new most widely read book in Bloomington. Last year's selection -- "A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines -- became so popular that Bloomington libraries and stores could hardly manage to keep it on the shelves. This year, the entire community was invited to vote on what will become this year's literary selection in the city. The Bloomington Area Arts Council received over 600 ballots, promising this year's "One Book, One Bloomington" would be even more successful than last year. \nLast year's symposium proved to be more than just a passing interest for the community. What was called a "completely unprecedented event" by a member of the audience became an instant favorite of Arts Week 2002 for the spectators and writers alike.\n"I liked that lots of the community showed up because I'm used to teaching only students," said fiction writer and IU professor Dana Johnson, recalling her experience last year. \nAll speakers from the first symposium are back along with newcomers Kevin Young and Richard Cecil. They will each be speaking for forty-five minute intervals beginning at 10:15 a.m., immediately following the unveiling of the "One Book, One Bloomington" selection. \n"It's like studying, only no exams, no participation grade," said Sally Gaskill, executive director of the BAAC. "It's the best kind of education"