Injury forfeit doesn't slow perfect 4-0 weekend for IU

With freshman Joe Dubuque out with a knee injury, IU was forced to forfeit each of its four 125-pound bouts this weekend. But even that was not enough to stop IU from going 4-0 on a weekend that included back-to-back weigh-ins to help the Hoosiers prepare for the upcoming Big Ten season. \nFirst up for the Hoosiers was a Friday night dual meet at Eastern Illinois. Senior Greg Schaefer (133-pounds), junior Coyte Cooper (141-pounds), freshman Matt Cooper (149-pounds), and junior Ty Matthews (187-pounds) all defeated their Eastern Illinois counterparts. IU was defeated in the 157 and 165-pound weight classes and was forced to forfeit the 125-pound bout to EIU. But EIU forfeits to IU sophomore Pat DeGain (197-pounds) and freshman Joel Powers (heavyweight) sealed a 35-13 victory for the Hoosiers.\nAfter the Friday night meet, the Hoosiers returned to Bloomington for a four team dual meet on Saturday at the University Gymnasium. Eastern Michigan, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Missouri Valley were slated to compete. \nOnce again, the Hoosiers would be without Dubuque, the team's only 125-pounder, and would have to forfeit in that division.\nMissouri Valley, a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school, was IU's first opponent of the day. The Hoosiers were off to a quick start after Schaefer pinned Missouri Valley junior L.C. Davis. The Cooper brothers, Coyte and Matt, continued IU's quick start by winning in the 141 and 149 divisions, respectively.\nThe Hoosiers suffered a minor setback after being defeated in the 157 and 165-pound weight classes. But, sophomore Andrew Wolf and Matthews won by decision, and DeGain and Powers both pinned their Missouri Valley counterparts to finish off the Vikings 32-12.\nThe Hoosiers have had problems in the middleweight divisions all year, but Saturday they seemed to be solved. \n"We called on some guys to step up and they did," coach Duane Goldman said. "Guys like Alex LaPointe, Andy Wolf, Matt Cooper and Joel Powers did very well today."\nSIUE was next on the docket and the Cougars dug themselves into a hole by forfeiting three bouts: at 133, 197, and a double forfeit at 125. The Cougars were able to win only one bout and seemingly unable to recover.\nSIUE senior Zach Stephens proved to be too much for Wolf in a hard fought bout that ended in a 6-5 victory for Stephens. But this marked the only setback for the Hoosiers as Coyte Cooper, Matthews, Powers and 157-pound freshman Isaac Knable all pinned their Cougar counterparts. IU's Matt Cooper and junior Alex LaPointe won by decision to finish a 43-3 victory.\nRiding a three meet winning streak, the only thing that stood between IU and an undefeated Big Ten tune-up was Eastern Michigan. The Eagles earned their only points against IU through the 125-pound forfeit and a pin of IU sophomore J.P. Stanley. Every other Eagle was defeated as the Hoosiers won 33-12. \n"What was good about today is that we didn't suffer any setbacks," Goldman said. "The guys that had been wrestling well continued to wrestle well, and guys that needed to wrestle better did."\nCoyte Cooper earned his second pin of the day against EMU junior Josh Wiles to move into a three-way tie on IU's all-time career pins list with 19. \n "It's nice," Cooper said of the distinction. "But I try not to worry about my own accomplishments."\nThe Hoosiers next meet will be the Big Ten opener Friday against Penn State in the University Gymnasium at 7 p.m.\n"This was just another stepping stone going into the Big Ten season," Matthews said. "It's going to be grueling, but we expect to win"