Hoosiers pleased with play despite loss

IU proves their strength on the court with a 51-53 loss to Purdue

INDIANAPOLIS -- The women's basketball team was looking for the ultimate upset over 6th ranked Purdue Saturday in the RCA Dome. A repeat of last year's victory over the Boilermakers would have been the perfect way to prove they were a team worth competing with. While the final score was in Purdue's favor 51-53, it turned out to be a loss that showed IU can compete.\n"I really like where my team is at right now," coach Kathi Bennett said. "We started coming together, and it's a positive step for us."\nThe intensity and tension could be felt the moment the now 7-0 Boilermakers and 5-3 Hoosiers stepped on the hardwood. There was a lot of support from the Hoosier bench as the players who didn't see action did all they could to cheer the team on.\nThe first half was in IU's favor for the majority of the time, which was a nice change from their usual slow starts so far this season. Their largest lead was by 11 with just 5:00 to go in the first half. The half time score of 27-27 was thanks in large part to Purdue junior forward Shereka Wright.\nWright scored 26 points in the game and was an asset to Purdue's victory. Wright said that although it wasn't a pretty win, they were glad they won.\n"We know they're (IU) going to give us their best game, and they did," Wright said. "They came out and played very well, and we just had to match up with that."\nMatching up with the Hoosiers is something that took Purdue some time to do, even in the second half. The Hoosiers, who had 38 on the board with 13:25 left in the game, once again held the largest lead by eight points in the second half.\nIt was a game that came down to some crucial free throws and serious coaching decisions on Bennett's part. With just seconds to go, Wright shot two good free throws giving the Boilermakers a two-point lead. \nIt was a long 4.7 seconds for the Hoosiers, as the team went down to the wire. Sophomore guard Jenny DeMuth attempted a lay-up that rolled right off the rim as the buzzer sounded.\nPurdue coach Kristy Curry said DeMuth took a great shot.\n"That's exactly what you teach your kids to do in that type of situation," Curry said. "She made a great decision. That's great coaching on Kathi's part."\nBennett said she was also proud of DeMuth's attempt and said it was a great take that just didn't go in. DeMuth, who scored nine points in the game, did a great job of getting the ball to the rim, Bennett said.\nLeading the Hoosiers was senior forward Lisa Eckart who scored 14 points in the game and made four of the Hoosiers seven 3-point baskets. Late in the second half Eckart fouled out.\nPurdue's junior guard Beth Jones scored 12 points Saturday and said IU deserves a lot of credit for the good game they played.\n"They had a really good pressure defense, and from the get-go they were pressuring us a lot," Jones said. "It wasn't until the end of the game when we really started to put things together."\nCurry acknowledged the win was an ugly one for Purdue but said it doesn't matter what it looked like.\n"I'm really proud of our kids because they showed heart and character, as did Indiana," Curry said. "It says 7-0 for us now, not 7-0 with an ugly win, so I'll take it."\nFreshman guard Cyndi Valentin said she was amazed at the atmosphere in the RCA Dome and didn't expect the game to be as huge as it was.\n"I learned how to play with competition that was a lot more physical," Valentin said. "You have to be strong, play your game and have confidence."\nIU wasn't disappointed after the loss to Purdue. The team said the game showed they're ready for Big Ten play, and they are a team that will be competition for the Big Ten Conference.\n"I respect Purdue so much; they've been on top for awhile," Bennett said. "I think we're very competitive though. That taste of losing, hopefully that's going to stay and keep us even more hungry"