FSU outscores, outplays

The IU women's basketball team lost 58-47 to Florida State Tuesday night in Tallahassee, Fla. IU was outscored by 15 points in the first half. IU's previous low total in a half this year was 27 against Eastern Kentucky in the second half of the Nov. 26 game. \n"We missed a lot of opportunities early in the game," coach Kathi Bennett said. "Obviously, success early always helps. I feel that we get affected too easily when we're not playing well individually and that is what happened tonight."\nThe Hoosiers, who only made seven field goals in the first half, fell to 3-2 on the year, while the Seminoles improved to 4-1.\nSophomore Jenny DeMuth left the game just 11 minutes in with a mild concussion. DeMuth, who is IU's scoring leader this season, drove to the basket at the 9:00 mark in the first half and was called for a charge. The sophomore guard/forward crashed on the floor and was forced to leave the game. She did not return.\n"Jenny is our leading scorer. She has scored a lot of points for us this season, and it was a tough loss for us," Bennett said.\nDeMuth scored 26 points in the last contest versus Nevada.\nWith the absence of DeMuth, the IU newcomers scored 26 of Indiana's last 32 points and outscored Florida State by four in the second half at the Tallahassee Leon County Civic Center.\nAt one point, Bennett played an all-freshman lineup and said she was satisfied with their play.\n"We got a spark in the second half, and I liked that," Bennett said.\nFreshman Angela Hawkins, a Florida native, finished with eight points and nine rebounds.\nFreshman April Williams also tallied eight points for the Hoosiers, while freshman Cyndi Valentin added seven before fouling out late in the second half.\nBoth senior Jill Hartman and Kristen Bodine failed to score in the contest. Hartman played 19 minutes, while Bodine logged 22 minutes. IU's seniors combined to score 12 points. \n"Our starting group has to bring more energy to the court and not come out so soft and tentative," Bennett said. "That seems to be our problem right now, and if we get that corrected, it will help a lot."\nIU will look to get back on the winning track Saturday as the Hoosiers host Georgetown at 5 p.m. in Assembly Hall.