Winning streaks collide at OSU

In a rare mid-week matchup, IU takes its three game winning streak into Columbus, Ohio Wednesday night to face an even hotter Ohio State squad, winners of five games in a row. \nIU (18-8, 8-6) will be trying to inch even closer to earning an NCAA tournament automatic bid for the first time since the 1999 season. The team's 8-6 Big Ten mark is the Hoosiers' best conference start since 1995 and a win Wednesday night would give them their second four game win streak in the past month. \nHeading into this match, Ohio State (13-10, 7-7 Big Ten) has won five games in a row and eight out of nine, their only loss coming to powerhouse Minnesota. Trying to stop Ohio State means containing sophomore outside hitter Stacey Gordon, who this week won the Big Ten Player of the Week award for the third time this year .\nGordon has recorded 20-plus kills in eight-of-10 matches this year and in her career has recorded ten-plus kills in 52 of 54 matches. Gordon has lifted Ohio State from their 0-5 start in the Big Ten. \n"We know she is their go-to player," sophomore middle blocker Katie Pollom said. "She is their main weapon, when she is in the front row, we will be focused on her."\nPollom leads the Hoosiers with 1.10 blocks per game and is one of three Hoosiers averaging over 3 kills per game. Archibald continues to lead with 4.41 kills per game, while Pollom and junior middle blocker Melissa Brewer average over 3 and a half. As a team, IU ranks second behind Wisconsin in kills in the Big Ten with 16.35 kills per match. \nSetting up the Hoosiers' triple-threat is sophomore setter Victoria Zimmerman, who leads the team with 13.74 assists per game. Zimmerman ranks second in the Big Ten behind Wisconsin junior Morgan Shields with 13.76 assists per game. \nIn a Sept. 25 matchup, IU was victorious over the Buckeyes 3-1 in Bloomington. But, the Hoosiers are well aware of Ohio State's improvement since September. \n"We expect them to be a stronger team," sophomore defensive specialist Beth Heimann said. "But we are extremely confident in ourselves."\nIn terms of stopping Gordon and the Buckeyes, IU must be tough from their own service line and not allow Ohio State to get in sync on offense.\n"We are one of the best teams from the service line," coach Katie Weismiller said. "They have one of the best players in the Big Ten and in order to stop her we need to be tough from the service line"