Monday, June 17

Strip club creates controversy

Downtown 18 and over club has community talking

Grasping a metallic pole on a black hardwood stage, a young woman beholds the attention of a man in a denim jacket.\nLooking through a long row of bar stools surrounding the stage or tan couches used for lap dances in this Bloomington strip club, one might think these customers appear younger than expected.\nThat's because they are. Patrons of the club are 18 and older, and many of them are IU students.\nAfter Hours Topless Bar and Dance Club, a non-alcoholic establishment for those 18 and over, opened this month in a former department store on Walnut Street in the heart of downtown Bloomington, drawing outrage from some citizens and leaders.\nTalisha Coppock, director of the Downtown Bloomington Commission, is one of them.\n"It taints the image of downtown," Coppock said. "I think it's an embarrassment. We try to do business day to day there. We try to bring in good family attractions. It's our downtown. It's the face of our community."\nThe DBC is a non-profit organization serving over 150 Bloomington businesses, a majority of them located downtown.\nSome questioned the placement of an underage topless club so close to campus. Danny Jordan, owner of After Hours, said making it available to a University audience is the only option he had. \n"The city would not give me a liquor license unless I bought a $40,000 sprinkler system, so I had no choice but to go underage," Jordan said.\nThe DBC decided to appeal to the City Council of Bloomington, which has legislative control of our city, to look into "types of ordinances to restrict this establishment."\nCity Council Member (At-Large) Anthony Pizzo said the council discussed the issue and decided not to take any legislative action.\n"I don't see this as an issue," Pizzo said. "I don't see any potential danger it poses to anyone."\nThe council did, however, send City Council Vice President (District III) and Bloomington's Captain of Detectives Michael Diekhoff to inspect the business for any violations. \n"From a police standpoint," Diekhoff said, "We had officers go and look to see what was going on because we have never seen a strip club that didn't allow alcohol or smoking."\nViolations searched for included anyone in attendance under 18, serving alcohol and signs of a lack of security.\nDiekhoff reported to the city council that they "found no evidence of alcohol or any other violations."\nDue to the record of many other underage clubs shut down because of violence, the issue of security was one Diekhoff discussed with Jordan in detail.\n"We inquired with the management as to what precautions they would take to prevent fights and other security measures," Diekhoff said. "We made sure we know what to expect. We periodically check with all the bars downtown to know what's going on."\nJordan says his security is "top notch" and he has not had any problems with any of the customers.\n"So far everybody has had a good time," Jordan said. "There's no alcohol, so people won't be angry. I mean, if you are watching a beautiful woman dancing for you, are you going to punch the guy next to you? No, you have a good time."\nMany news sources said the business did not go through the proper channels to open his establishment.\n"We are still investigating that," Senior Zoning Planner James Roach said. "But we have not had any reports of any business violations."\nJordan said he did everything he needed to do to open his business and even went down the Planning Commission to receive permission to open. \nRoach also included that there are no special zoning restrictions for the business and that "there currently are not any ordinances or business regulations on adult businesses."\nJordan said his business is a respectable one for IU students. This Friday, he is opening a new edition of the club that he thinks will receive more support.\n"One of the things I am mad about is that people neglect to mention is that the downstairs is a regular dance club," Jordan said. "Only the upstairs is topless. They're completely separate."\nThe downstairs will feature live bands and deejays. Admission for either section is $15, which includes free sodas all night.\nNot only might someone see a fellow classmate as a customer at the club, but they might also see a classmate entertaining them. Jordan said the majority of the girls who dance there are IU students. \n"A girl can't put her way through college working at McDonald's, you know that," Jordan said.\nJordan also cited this as a reason why 18 year olds should be allowed in his club.\n"I don't understand why 18, 19 year old girls can work at a strip club, but the public seems to have a problem with 18 year old boys coming to see them," Jordan said.\nJordan, a father himself, claims this business is a better place for college students than at-house parties.\n"I would rather have my 18 year old son at a place like this with no alcohol than to be at someplace drinking," Jordan said. "Sure as heck beats alcohol poisoning."\nThursday afternoon at 2:30 p.m., the two opposing forces finally decided to sit down and discuss the issue. \n"I called her in for a meeting," Jordan said. "And I told her that I wasn't mad at her because she was just doing what she feels is right." \nJordan explained to Coppock that he is not seeking attention and is trying to keep the business "low key."\n"You can't even tell it's a strip club by walking by," Jordan said. "There are no flashing lights. There are curtains. Plus, everything is upstairs. The only reason people know it's there is because they are giving it plenty of attention."\nCoppock said she will still seek new measures to move the business. The option they are considering now is to lobby to change legislation. \n"If enough people come to us and ask us to take actions, we will discuss possible ordinances," Pizzo said.\nYet, members of the City Council feel the issue is moot and expect to leave it as it is. \n"There are more important issues on our agenda," Pizzo said. "I don't know why the people of downtown Bloomington are so concerned with it."\nThe battle may continue, but Jordan said he has no plans of moving his business and expects for it to grow quickly. As for how Jordan expects to fulfill his business goals, he said he'll leave it to the DBC.\n"If they keep complaining it'll sure save me a lot more on advertising"