world

Protestors welcome NATO

PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- President Bush warned European allies Wednesday that NATO countries face threats from terrorism in this century as dangerous as those from German armies in the past, imploring member nations to stand together against Iraq's Saddam Hussein.\nResistant nations such as Germany will have to make their own decisions as to "how, if, and when they want to participate," Bush said.\n"The world needs the nations of this continent to be active in the defense of freedom; not inward-looking or isolated by indifference," he said.\nOn the eve of a NATO gathering guarded by American warplanes overhead and overshadowed by the Iraq crisis, summit host Vaclav Havel, the Czech president, said his people prefer that Saddam Hussein peacefully surrender his weapons of mass destruction.\n"If, however, the need to use force were to arise, I believe NATO should give honest and speedy consideration to its engagement as an alliance," he said.\nNATO Secretary-General George Robertson, previewing a gathering to expand and modernize the alliance, predicted there will also be "total unity of the heads of state and governments on support for the U.N. Security Council resolution" on Iraq. But it's too early to say what that support would mean for NATO, Robertson added.\n"Even in this beautiful city, I don't think it is wise to cross bridges before you come to them," he said.\nOn the cobblestones of picturesque Old Town square, several hundred demonstrators -- thousands fewer than were threatened -- protested the summit that convenes Thursday.\nAmong them were about three dozen leftists whose banners read, "No war in the name of democracy" and "Don't drop bombs! Drop Bush!"\nTucked into the security of locked-down hotel across town, Bush told students that "great evil is stirring in the world."\n"We've faced perils we've never thought about, perils we've never seen before, but they're dangerous, they're just as dangerous as those perils that your fathers and mothers and grandfathers and grandmothers faced."\nAdministration officials disclosed that U.S. ambassadors in 50 countries -- including Germany -- have been told to solicit support from allies for personnel and equipment to assist American forces in the war on terrorism and, possibly, on Iraq.\nBritish Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said his country was among those receiving a request, "but no decision has been taken on that." Britain's position would be discussed in Parliament on Monday, he said.\nIn Copenhagen, Danish lawmakers approved on Wednesday the participation of Danish soldiers and equipment in any international force in Iraq, if necessary.\nBush invoked the United States' involvement in World War II as he exhorted allies to join America now.\n"U-boats could not divide us," Bush told the students, who sat silent through his speech. "The commitment of my nation to Europe is found in the carefully tended graves of young Americans who died for this continent's freedom."\nDuring a separate meeting with Havel earlier in the day, Bush sought to quiet European fears that he is hungry for war. He promised consultation with allies, saying a military clash with Iraq was his "last choice" -- and an avoidable one.\nIt is still possible Saddam could get the message, Bush said. "If the collective will of the world is strong, we can achieve disarmament peacefully."\nAides said afterward that Bush still believes it is highly unlikely that Saddam will comply, thus war planning is fast under way. Bush discussed Iraq behind closed doors with President Ahmet Necdet Sezer of Turkey, whose country shares a border with Iraq and offers military bases critical to any U.S.-led attack.\nBush had no plans to meet with German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, whose recent re-election campaign infuriated the president by focusing on opposition to Bush's Iraq policy. White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said the two leaders were likely to exchange greetings at a black-tie summit dinner Wednesday.\nOf Germany's opposition to using force against Iraq, Bush said: "It's a decision Germany will make just like it's a decision the Czech Republic will make, just like it's a decision Great Britain will make. It's a decision that each country must decide as to how, if and when they want to participate, and how they choose to participate."\nThe Czech government mobilized 12,000 police officers, 2,200 heavily armed soldiers and special anti-terrorist units to protect the presidents and prime ministers converging on this "city of 1,000 spires."\nMiles above, U.S. fighter jets patrolled Prague airspace, supplementing Czech pilots who circled at lower altitudes in Soviet-era planes. Intelligence officials fear the leaders are an inviting target for terrorists.\nOn Thursday, NATO is to approve invitations to seven former communist states: Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia. Bush said the alliance should reach even further.\n"We strongly support the enlargement of NATO, now and in the future. Every European democracy that seeks NATO membership and is ready to share in NATO's responsibilities should be welcome in our alliance," he said.\nNATO is also due to announce plans for a 21,000-strong rapid response force that could mobilize in seven to 30 days to confront threats from terrorists, renegade governments or regional crises.