Monday, June 17

Library starts building a 'hub of high technology'

New addition will feature state of the art computers, on-site experts and coffee bar

IU Dean of Libraries Suzanne Thorin and Associate Professor of Information Systems Brad Wheeler announced a $1.5 million renovation to the Main Library, adding the Information Commons, a 27,000 sq. foot "hub of high technology."\nThe project, which has been in the planning stages for the past few years, finally received approval from the IU board of trustees last week.\n"The Information Commons has been in and out of the hospital for awhile," Wheeler said. "It's been on and off life support and we actually had to resuscitate it three times, but it is finally approved and it will be very exciting." The project is part of a $72 million renovation of the Main Library.\nThe new area would feature stations for audio/video editing, multimedia programs and wireless Internet connection, which will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Also, to assist students will the new technology, members of the UITS staff will be on premises. \nComfort will not be neglected in the layout. Wheeler said the new facility, which will be on the first floor of the undergraduate side, will feature a coffee bar serving real espressos.\n"(It will have) more couches, tables to sit at, a coffee bar, everything people have asked for," Thorin said.\nThe new center will also provide technological assistance to those with disabilities. \n"We also have printers that can print braille, and we even have this computer program that helps those with dyslexia complete their assignments," Thorin said.\nConstruction will begin during Christmas break and is scheduled to be completed by July 15, with an opening planned for mid-August. During its construction, all of the services which would be housed in that area of the library would be moved to other locations. \nFinancing the new addition was a cooperative effort between the Library and the UITS, each giving almost equal shares.\n"Usually (Vice President Terry) Clapacs, the UITS and the library would each pitch in a third," Wheeler said. "But, due to budget cuts, all the renovation money is gone. So, we had to save for a long time in order to finance this project."\nThe necessary funds for the addition will come from the library budget and from students' technology fees. \nDuring its construction, a portion of the library parking will be taped off as a construction zone, which will reduce the number of "A" parking spaces.\nWheeler said he knows the construction will be an inconvenience, but expects the new facility will not go unused.\n"I expect it will be a very busy place where a lot students will go to work," Wheeler said.\nTo find out more information on the upcoming project, check out ic.indiana.edu.