Irish dominate in hometown classic

After the first day of the 15th annual Eck Classic, held at the Eck Pavilion in South Bend, the Hoosiers stood 6-6 in singles and 2-1 in doubles. But, things seemed to get worse the remaining day of the tournament for the team.\nThe Hoosiers had trouble days two and three. This set the tone for the tournament and killed the chances at singles titles for two players.\nJunior Martina Grimm was one of the few bright spots for the Hoosiers. Grimm was steady and solid throughout the gold singles flight. She went 2-0 in singles on day one, November 8 and 1-0 in doubles with freshman Sarah Batty. Grimm's 3-1 record in singles was good enough for a third place finish. \nGrimm's accomplishments at the invite was impressive for a player who has been the Hoosiers' No. 4 singles player all year. Her lone loss in singles came on day two to eventual Gold Single flight winner freshman Kelly Nelson for Notre Dame, 7-5, 6-4.\nBatty was nearly as impressive as Grimm, going 2-0 in singles in the blue flight and 1-0 in doubles on day one. But, she lost her final two singles matches on days 2 and 3. On day 2, Batty lost to eventual blues flight singles champ junior Alicias Salas for Notre Dame. On the final day, Batty was ousted 6-4, 6-3 in straight sets by Notre Dame freshman Kristina Stastny. \nThe tournament was dominated by the host Irish from the first day out. Salas captured the Blue Flight singles championship, and Nelson claimed the gold singles flight title. \nOverall, Notre Dame had the top three spots in the Blue Singles flight, a pair of consolation singles titles along with the two regular titles, and three of the top four places in doubles. \nIU's outstanding doubles duo of senior Karie Schlukebir and junior Linda Tran had their expectations in the doubles bracket come up short. The pair was forced to forfeit their match by default.\nTran was injured in the invite because she had to retire early in a singles match against Notre Dame freshman Lauren Connelly. \nThe team finished the tournament with eight wins in singles vs. 11 losses,and five doubles wins vs. three losses. \nThe Eck Classic was the final fall competition for the Hoosiers until the new calendar year. The team starts up again on Jan. 23, 2003 as they host Western Michigan.