Individual swimmers contribute to victory

The women's swimming and diving team defeated Northwestern 168-123 Saturday, extending the team's record to 4-0 overall, and 2-0 in Big Ten competition. \nJunior Meghan Medendorp finished first in four events. She was a member of the 200-medley relay that finished with a time of 1:46.63 and contributed to the 200 freestyle relay that placed first at 1:34.94. Individually, she claimed first place in the 50 and 100 free, 23.98 and 51.50 respectively. Sophomores Erin Smith and Tammy Kostner joined Medendorp on the victorious relay teams.\n"This win helps us to push us forward. We have been training really hard and will continue to train hard for future meets," Medendrop said. "We pushed through mentally, racing hard and doing everything we could do to get the win."\nJunior Sarah Fiden swam the 1000 freestyle event in a time of 10:05.99, good enough for a first place finish. Finishing first in the 200 freestyle event was freshman Doherty Colgin, who came in at 1:52.54.\nAssistant coach Ron Turner said he has been pleased with how the freshmen have performed so far this season.\n"We knew coming in that they were a very talented group of freshmen. I think they've surprised more of the team rather than us. They've really shown that they are not limited by the term freshmen," Turner said. "They're swimming just like a seasoned veteran at times. I think that's exciting. They're doing a great job. We are really looking to them just as we are everybody else in the program."\nOne of the highlighted events for the Hoosier women was the 500 freestyle, as IU went on to capture the top three positions. Junior Erin Gorlesky finished first for Indiana (4:56.97), as Fiden and freshman Lauren Torpey followed behind.\nContributing to the Indiana women's victory were divers junior Cassandra Cardinell and senior Sara Hildebrand. Cardinell finished first with 281.48 points in the one-meter diving event as Hildebrand took the three-meter diving event, finishing with 219.45 points.\n"It was a good confidence win for us," head coach Dorsey Tierney said. "This is probably the best I have seen us race when we were this tired. This is more of a mental challenge than anything at this point in the year. The team worked very hard this week and was still able to race effectively."\nThe Hoosiers take to the pool next at the Indiana Open Invitational Nov. 22 to 24 at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.