Hoosiers win Indiana Invitational

The IU men's swimming and diving team hosted the annual Indiana Invitational this weekend at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. The undefeated Hoosiers won the event with a score of 1,149 points followed by University of Cincinnati in second, Clemson University taking third, University of Evansville placing fourth, and the University of Miami (Fla.) finishing in fifth place. \nThe invitational is a hard and tiring meet for the swimmers to compete in. The event started on Friday at 9:30 a.m. with preliminaries and finals at 6 p.m. and continued that schedule on Saturday. The Hoosiers led the pack both days and finished out the victory on Sunday with prelims at 9 a.m. and finals at 3 p.m. \n"The effort was great. The times could have been better, but the attitude was great," Coach Ray Looze said. "We had some bad health and in a three-day meet like this that isn't a good thing. We sort of had to grind out a win. Clemson left after the morning prelims, so that kind of took the fun out of tonight. It was developing as a good team battle, but it evaporated. We really didn't get too true of a look as to where we are at, but that to a large degree is out of our control." \nSenior captain Dave Schulze led his team in the 200-yard breaststroke, swimming a winning time of 2:04.30 followed by junior Rob Dabrowski in second with a time of 2:06.92, sophomore Niles Madison in third with a time of 2:10.68 and freshman Hank Baldwin in fifth with a time of 2:12.87. Schulze was also victorious in the 100-yard breast with a time of 57.15. Schulze was joined by teammates junior Claes Andersson, sophomore Murph Halasz, and junior Dale Ramsy in the 200-yard medley relay where they swam a winning time of 1:32.10. A team of junior Matt Leach, Schulze, Halasz, and Andersson placed second in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:24.20\nThe sprinting contingent of Andersson, Ramsy, junior Mike Payne, and sophomore Nicolas Burgess placed first, second, fourth, and seventh respectively in the 50-yard freestyle finals. The foursome was also victorious in the 200-free relay, swimming a time of 1:22.65. \nSophomore distance swimmer Richard Bryant placed first in the 200-yard freestyle event with a time of 1:41.82. Bryant also helped his team score more points by placing second in the 500-yard free swimming a time of 4:31.28 and second in the mile swim (1650 yards) with a time of 15:53.72. \nJunior diver Marc Carlton scored a season personal best of 331.40 points on the one-meter. Carlton also won the platform competition with a score of 471.40 and placed second on the three-meter scoring 535.50 points. \n"I thought Carlton did a great job on one-meter, in fact he looked real good on both boards," Diving Coach Jeff Huber said in a statement. "I am real pleased to see that. I thought we were pretty weak all the way around on one-meter, but they stepped it up much better on three-meter." \nThe Hoosiers next face two much more competitive invitationals Dec. 5-7. The top 11 Hoosiers will be swimming at the Texas Invitational and the rest of the team will be compete at the Miami Invitational.