Hoosiers pull off pair of wins

The competition was fierce and the score close as the No. 13 ranked Hoosiers competed against the No. 14 ranked Fight Irish at Notre Dame on Friday. The final score was 154-146; IU. The entire 16 event meet came down to the last event, the 400 yard freestyle relay. The Hoosiers were trailing the Irish by one point upon entering this event. Freshman Nina Thurston, senior Anne Williams, and sophomore Tammy Kostner swam the first three legs of the relay. When junior Meghan Medendorp took the blocks to begin the last leg of the relay the Hoosiers were 1.11 seconds behind. IU touched out the Irish by 68 hundredths of a second claiming their victory.\nMedendorp also anchored the 400 yard medley relay that finished second to Notre Dame to open the meet. The freestyler rounded out her day by finishing second in the 50 yard freestyle in a time of 23.98 seconds to Notre Dame's Danielle Hulick and winning the 100 yard freestyle in 51.85.\nJunior Sarah Fiden came through fir her team with a double win the 1000 and 500 freestyles in times of 9:59.65 and 4:56.96 respectively. Fiden's 1000 time was a new season best for her. \nFiden was supported by classmate Brooke Tafflinger who finished third. Tafflinger went on to win the 200 year breaststroke in 2:19.77 and take second place in the 400 yard individual medley.\nAnother double win for the Hoosiers came from senior Sara Hildebrand who won both the 1 and 3 meter diving events. Her teammates Cassie Cardinell and Lori Matthys took third and fourth respectively. \nAnother IU win was provided by senior Tina Gretlund in the 200 yard butterfly, who swam at 2:02.06. Senior Kristy Martin came in third in the event by two hundredths of a second.\nNotre Dame was not the only team to be taken down by the power of the IU women's swim team this weekend. The Fighting Illini of Champaign, Illinois succumbed to a 178-117 defeat as well.\nJunior Sara Fiden was Indiana's only double winner of the day in the 1000 and 500 freestyles. Fiden won the 1000 for the third straight meet in a row in a time of 10:06.06. Teammate freshman Doherty Colgin took second and junior Erin Gorlesky took third.\nThe 100 was not the only event the Hoosiers swept Saturday. Senior Kristy Martin, sophomore Erin Smith, and junior Jillian Lathrop earned the top three positions in the 200 yard butterfly in 2:04.82, 2:08.79, and 2:09.39 respectively. Smith took first in the 100 butterfly later in the day.\nThe IU divers went to work in the Illini sweeping both diving events. Cassie Cardinell claimed first on the one meter diving with a score of 315.10. She was followed by teammates Hildebrand and Matthys. Hildebrand and Cardinell switched positions in the three meter diving event.\nAfter taking second in the 50 yard freestyle Medendorp won the 100 freestyle in 52.56. Senior Colleen McCracken aided the Hoosiers by winning the 200 yard backstroke in 2:06.00. \nThe 400 freestyle relay team of sophomore Tammy Kostner, senior Anne Williams, and juniors Jillian Lathrop and Meghan Medendorp finished out the day by winning in a time if 1:37.48. \nThe two wins this weekend have raised the Hoosiers record to 3-0 over all and a 1-0 big ten record so far.