First recruit signs

The IU men's basketball team penned its first recruit Wednesday. \nJessan Gray-Ashley, 6-foot, 10-inch, 205-pound forward from Davenport, Iowa, signed a national letter of intent to play for the Hoosiers. He had considered Creighton, Alabama State and Indiana State.\nGray-Ashley averaged seven points and six rebounds per game for Davenport Central High School during his junior year. He earned an all-league honorable mention award during his junior season as well.\n"He was a great fit for us," IU coach Mike Davis said. "When he was available, I was real surprised because he's 6-10, he can shoot the basketball (and) he's really skilled."\nOver this past summer, Gray-Ashley gained 45 pounds and grew two inches. He spent the summer playing for the Martin Brothers AAU team that participated in the AAU National Tournament.\nDavis compared Gray-Ashley to senior forward Jeff Newton Wednesday, saying that the biggest difference between the two is Gray-Ashley's shooting ability.\n"He's just like Jeff Newton was, except he can shoot the basketball," Davis said. "The only thing about Jeff coming in here was his work habits. He didn't really work hard, but this kid can shoot it. He has a touch."\nDavis said this incoming class will have just two recruits because of the returning players. He expects to sign a second recruit in the spring, and said that it would be a high school player that is either 6-9 or 6-10.\n"We'll get one other guy in this class that can really shoot," Davis said. "We don't need four guys in this class. I need two guys in this class that can play"