Diver excels, eyes IU records

Challenges a person undertakes can often make them tougher. Junior co-captain diver Marc Carlton has been through many challenges throughout his diving career here at IU. Carlton came to IU as a four-time high school All-American selection and a four-time New York state champion. He also placed fourth on the one-meter at the 1999 Junior National Championships. \nBut as a freshman at IU, Carlton was faced with the challenge of making changes in his dives, learning new dives and adjusting to a new coaching staff. These were all changes Carlton welcomed, but it took him all season to adjust. Carlton said his freshman year was a learning experience as he challenged himself to learn many new dives, but did not make it to any finals in the postseason. \nCarlton said it was not until midway through his sophomore season that his diving really began to click for him. Last year he came out placing 12th on the three-meter at the 2002 NCAA Championships, which earned him All-American honors for the first time in college. He also placed second in the exhibition platform competition, fifth on the one-meter and seventh on the three-meter at the 2002 Big Ten Championships. At the 2002 U.S .Outdoor National Diving Championships, Carlton placed sixth on the 10-meter and earned himself a spot on the U.S. National Diving Team for the first time. \nCarlton now not only looks to break Mark Lenzi's school record on the three-meter this season, but said he believes he can win all three events at the 2003 Big Ten Championships if he has a great day. He has also set a goal to be at the top in the 2003 NCAAs. Along with freshman diver Brian Mariano, Carlton said he hopes to compete well in the America Cup this January. The event will showcase national divers that will be contending for a spot on the 2004 U.S. Olympic Diving Team. \nCoach Jeff Huber said he believes Carlton can accomplish these goals this season.\n"He has a lot of guts," Huber said. "He is very tough physically and is a hard worker and is dedicated. He wants to succeed and is motivated to do so." \nCarlton said that it is thanks to Huber that he is tough and is where he is today in his diving career and in his life. Huber has been named the National Diving Coach-of-the-Year five times and has coached many national and Olympic team members throughout his career. \nBut Carlton's teammates have also pushed him to become a better diver. Carlton said one of the biggest reasons he chose IU two years ago was because he knew the team atmosphere here would be phenomenal. Carlton is joined on the men's diving team by senior co-captain Adam Hazes, Mariano, junior Alex Burns, sophomore Ryan Fagan, sophomore Brian Metzler and freshman Yahya Radman. Together, they form a team that is one of the strongest in the Big Ten.\nHazes, who finished eighth on the one-meter and fourth on the three-meter at the 2002 Big Tens, said Carlton's work ethic has made him a great diver. \n"Marc is a successful diver because he has a drive that is amazing," Hazes said. "He does so much more than anyone on the team to improve his diving. He will take that extra effort, by doing things outside the pool that would improve his diving." \nCarlton is humbled by his accomplishments in and out of the pool.\n"I don't think I have as much talent as the other guys on my team do, but I know how to goal-set," Carlton said. "Coach Huber helps me a lot with that. I stay real realistic with what I do and that helps me to succeed"