Clapacs fills in as McNeely resigns

Administrator takes reigns for now

Veteran IU administrator Terry Clapacs was named interim athletic director Friday, as Michael McNeely resigned from the position 16 months after taking the job.\nA national search for a permanent athletic director will begin in the coming months, Clapacs said.\nRumors surfaced Thursday that McNeely would be leaving IU, but administrators and the athletic department would not comment on his status.\nClapacs said parties involved were not certain what would transpire until Friday morning, when IU released a statement that McNeely had resigned. \nIn the statement, IU President Myles Brand noted matters within the athletic department haven't worked out to the University's and athletic department's satisfaction.\n"I wish Michael the very best in his future endeavors and thank him for his efforts while at IU," Brand said in the statement. "He was committed to the success of IU's student-athletes and intercollegiate sports programs." \nClapacs will serve as interim athletic director until a permanent replacement can be found.\nIn his 36th year at IU, Clapacs currently serves as vice president for administration and chief administrative officer for the University.\nClapacs oversees a wide variety of University services including human resources and the physical plant. He also works as the president's liaison to the athletic director, which has given him 10 years experience working with the athletic department.\nTaking on the new position, Clapacs will still be responsible for his previous duties.\nAfter IU athletic director Clarence Doninger retired, Clapacs chaired the committee that searched for a new athletic director, which eventually picked McNeely. McNeely had been working as chief operating officer for the San Diego Chargers. \nClapacs said the University committed to a national search for a new athletic director in 2001.\n"We placed ads in publications and newspapers across the country and in many athletic trade newspapers," Clapacs said. "We started calling people asking for advice and had terrific pool of talent. I would like to say McNeely's experience at the University in the end just wasn't a good fit."\nThe process of finding a new athletic director will be put into the works in the next few weeks. Clapacs said a committee should be compiled between now and semester break. \nIU spokeswoman Jane Jankowski said the University hopes to find a permanent replacement by next spring or early next summer.\nClapacs said once a permanent athletic director is named he will go back to his duties as vice president. \n"I wouldn't be interested (in staying athletic director)," Clapacs said. "I will continue to be vice president, which is what I have done for a long time and enjoy that work. I will do whatever I can in the mean time to help."\nDuring his tenure as athletic director, McNeely proposed and made changes to the athletic department, including reverting back to IU's vintage cream and crimson colors. McNeely also proposed a plan to build a state of the art student-athlete center. \nClapacs said many of the plans McNeely had in the works will continue.\n"He had good vision," Clapacs said. "He had goals for students athletes, graduation rates and we will continue to pursue some of those. We are going to pay close attention to the budget issues and get it in line with the department's revenue."\nClapacs said changes will be made as he goes along, but doesn't yet know what actions will be taken.\n"No other actions have been taken at this time," Clapacs said. "I wouldn't want to comment on anyone specific at the moment, but there will be changes in the athletic department."\nSo far the athletic department is moving on with day-to-day operations. All teams competed as usual this weekend.\nAthletic department spokesman Jeff Fanter said that despite McNeely's departure, the department is still focused on student athletes. Fanter stressed the goal is still to provide the best possible experience for student athletes.