Bepko appointed interim president

IUPUI chancellor Bepko to take over for Brand

The IU board of trustees unanimously selected IUPUI Chancellor Gerald Bepko as IU's interim president on Friday.\nThe selection marks the first step in the University's future without President Myles Brand, who announced on Oct. 10 that he is leaving IU to head the NCAA, effective Jan. 1, 2003. Bepko will take Brand's place at the beginning of the new year.\n"We will not allow ourselves to take any steps backward," Bepko said soon after he was selected. "We'll roll up our sleeves and work very hard."\nBepko said his main goal is to continue the progress of Brand's administration, with an emphasis on student learning and graduation and retention rates. He also said he plans to make IU's financial case as strong as possible to the upcoming Indiana General Assembly.\n"Most important is keeping the IU team focused on the agenda items set forth (by Brand's administration)," Bepko said.\nThe more than 30 years experience Bepko has will help him maintain IU's goals as interim president, trustee Vice President Stephen Ferguson said.\n"It feels really good to have Gerry," he said. "He can step in and continue where we've been headed for the last period of years. There's no transition, there is no change in direction."\nBefore moving to Indianapolis to become IUPUI chancellor, Bepko taught law courses in Bloomington and lived in Eigenmann Hall for a summer.\nHe said his experience teaching in Bloomington will help him as interim president.\n"I like to think my job is to advance the learning process," Bepko said.\nBoard of trustees President Frederick Eichhorn said the choice for Bepko as interim president wasn't a hard decision.\n"It's a good fit in a lot of respects," Eichhorn said.\nAlthough they haven't yet had a chance to work together, trustee Jamie Belanger said each time the subject of interim president was discussed, Bepko's name remained a constant.\nAlthough the interim president would normally be considered as a permanent replacement for president, Bepko said he doesn't want the presidency and won't put his name in the running.\nThe committee that will begin the search for the permanent president was also named Friday.\nThe search committee will be composed of 17 members, including faculty, administrators and students.\nFerguson will chair the presidential search committee, which includes Robert Eno, co-chair of the Bloomington Faculty Council, Blair Greenberg, IU Student Association treasurer, and Ken Beckley, president and CEO of the IU Alumni Association.\nTrustee Jamie Belanger said it is important two students are on the board.\n"They're definitely a vital part of the University," Belanger said.\nEichhorn, who was primarily in charge of forming the committee, called the task of searching for a new president one of the most important jobs the board has experienced.\nThe committee will resemble the similar group that selected Brand as IU president in 1994.\nThe trustees tried to keep the committee to a manageable size, while at the same time attempted to touch a variety of constituencies, Ferguson said. The committee is looking to decide on a permanent president by July 1.\nThe committee will look for someone that has strong leadership and is able to effectively work with the Indiana state legislature.\n"Where do we need to be and who's the best person to take us there?" Ferguson said.\nAs the search for the permanent president begins, Bepko, who said he would serve with all his heart, mind, and strength, will attempt to realize his new position and begin preparation as interim president.\n"All of these things happened quickly. I haven't had a lot of time to think," Bepko said. "I'm numb. It's like having Novocain in a tooth."\nView portions of the trustee's meeting and the news conference at broadcast.iu.edu