Women win all 16 events against Evansville

Saturday's swim meet opened with the IU women sweeping the 200 yard medley relay to take the top three places. This event set the tone for the rest of the day as IU went on to win every women's event, sweeping 12 of the 16 events. This led to IU's 185.5 to 103.5 victory over the Evansville Purple Aces.\nThe women's performance displayed not only the work they have already put in this season, but their depth and team dynamics as well. Coach Dorsey Tierney said she was pleased by the women's performance and said she knows what her team will need to work on.\n"We have a tremendous amount of depth, balance and experience," Tierney said. "For the most part I thought we were pretty good, not real consistent in our events for the most part. Part of it is early season; part of it is just that we've been training hard."\nThere were many double winners for the women. Junior Sarah Fiden won both the 1000 and 500 yard freestyle events in 10:50.32 and 4:56.74, respectively. Junior Brooke Tafflinger finished second behind Fiden in the 500 freestyle after winning both the 200 yard freestyle in a time of 1:52.80 and the 200 yard breaststroke in 2:20.04. Tafflinger said she was pleased with her swims as well as the general team performance.\n"This was our first meet of the season, so we were working a lot on race strategy and working on the little things," Tafflinger said. \nAnother batch of winning races came from another junior, Meghan Medendorp, who won the 50 and 100 yard freestyles as well as anchoring the winning 200 medley relay and the 200 freestyle relay.\n"I was very happy with my swims. I usually don't have a great beginning of season, and to really pull this off and show the team what I can do is very exciting for me," Medendorp said. "Overall we did awesome. We are starting off on a good foot."\nSophomore Tammy Kostner swam a 58.96 second 100 yard backstroke to secure herself a win. Senior Megan Geers recorded at 1:06.92 one hundred yard breaststroke to claim first place. Seniors Kristy Martin, Colleen McCracken and Tina Gretlund all displayed their experience in winning the 200 yard butterfly, 200 yard backstroke and 100 yard butterfly, respectively. Freshman Kristen Bradley won the last individual event for the Hoosiers in the 400 yard IM with a time of 4:25.00. \n"The freshmen add depth. They add drive; they push us older guys on the team who might be getting a little comfortable where we are at in terms of the team," said senior captain Anne Williams.\nThe Hoosier swimmers were aided by their diving counterparts. The IU divers won both the one and three meter diving events. Senior Sara Hildebrand broke the one meter dual meet record as well as the collegiate pool record with a score of 323.48.\n"We were a little rough today, but I think that's pretty standard at this time of the season for us," diving coach Jeff Huber said. "But I think we will have a good year."\nThe men's team also won their meet against Evansville.