'Shockwave' hits campus

This Friday and Saturday, the campus will be rocked by the sounds and sights of "Blast II: SHOCKWAVE" at the IU Auditorium. A sequel to the Tony- and Emmy-award-winning "Blast," the show consists of a compilation of music and special effects.\n"Finally the musicians have pushed away the chairs, thrown out the music stands and crawled out of the pit and onto the stage," said Jim Mason, the show's creator.\n"Blast II: SHOCKWAVE" is a performance unlike any other musical. It is a celebration of musical styles, including classics, jazz, blues, rock and roll and Broadway.\nEven though it is a musical performance, do not expect it to be stationary. Cast members execute difficult and intricate drill movements while performing two hours of music on woodwind, brass, electronic percussion instruments and cell phones. Just like "Blast," "SHOCKWAVE" has no storyline, but is a musical journey that combines music, movement and color. Performers multitask; dancing, singing and playing instruments in the same show. \nWhile derived from "Blast," "SHOCKWAVE" puts on a show markedly different from the original.\nWhile "Blast" focused primarily on a marching band style, "SHOCKWAVE" moves away from the marching band aspect by adding woodwind instruments to the traditional brass. Where "Blast" was derived from marching bands, "SHOCKWAVE" comes from a progressive big band style. The musical selections include more jazz and international flavors. The visual ensemble uses more traditional dance styles intermixed with the color guard style using flags in styles specifically created for "SHOCKWAVE." \nOriginating at Walt Disney World, this show has toured the country and will be making appearances at over 50 destinations this year alone. It is so popular that it has already begun booking its shows for the next year.\nDoug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium, said he expects a large crowd for the show.\n"Traditionally on our homecoming nights we get between 2,000 and 3,000 people in for our show," he said. "We expect that both Friday and Saturday night." \nWhile large crowds are expected, Booher said there are still seats available.