Rowing team competes in Rock Regatta

Novice 4 boat finishes in first place

The Hoosiers wrapped up a solid weekend at the Head of the Rock Regatta highlighted by the first place finish of the novice 4 at the time of 19:38. The boat was rowed by freshmen Laura Wharen, Kati Peiss, Lauren Anderson, Barret Belstra, Laura Teskoski. They beat out two strong Loyola Academy crews that finished second (19:52) and third (20:29). In the double race, the Hoosiers placed third (19:36), seventh (21:28), and eighth (21:33).\nHead coach Mark Wilson was pleased with how the day went. He had every girl row in at least two races, and in some cases even three races. He said rowing more races in the fall helps the girls improve more for their main focus, which are the races in the spring.\n"Our philosophy in the fall is that the more rowing opportunities, the better," Wilson said in a statement. "The girls handled the multiple launching and racing very well. We just keep looking to the spring."\nThe Hoosiers also did well in Lightweight 4 where they finished fifth with a time of 19:24. They were beat by Wisconsin, who took the top three spots, and Purdue who finished fourth with a time of 18:35. The lightweight 4 consisted of seniors Becky England and Erin Koers, and sophomores Stephanie Weert, Kristin Storer, and Sarah Meyer.\nIn the open 8, the Hoosiers finished fifteenth with a time of 16:58 and thirtieth with a time of 18:10. Wisconsin placed first with a time of 15:46. Iowa finished second (15:55) while Notre Dame finished just one second slower than Iowa to take third place.\nThe Hoosiers rowed four boats in the open pairs race. The "A" boat finished 14th (19:17), the "B" boat finished 29th (21:05), the "C" boat finished 21st (19:59, while the "D" boat finished 23rd (20:07).\nWilson said he say improvement over last year's effort.\n"The improvement from last year to this year is amazing," Wilson said in a statement. "The girls have much more of a professional attitude, and they are learning to improve"