'Grease' isn't the word

A large crowd gathered on Wednesday night anxious to see the ever-popular performance of Grease. Unfortunately, this performance might have enticed malevolent thoughts about paying upwards of $50 per ticket. From substandard acting to technical difficulties, this show could use a slight makeover. \nIt's disappointing to see a show when the supporting actresses and actors are much more engaging to the audience than the stars. Even though it happens rarely, it occurred on Wednesday night. There were only two people in the entire show that were owed my due gratitude. Vince Fontaine, played by Arthur J.M Callahan and Betty Rizzo, played by Jacqueline Colmer. Not to say the others were totally and utterly embarrassing, but they could use some practice. To sum up the acting, it felt like I was sitting through a high school performance. \nThe technical issues were just about as problematic as the acting. It began with the letter "G" burning out in the lighted sign, which hung from the center of the stage. There were also problems with the projection of voices. Whether it was a microphone issue or a performer issue, it is hard to say. What is easy to say is that it was hard to hear the soloists during songs. \nI would like to end this review by making a positive note. Although I felt like this show failed in many aspects of theater production, I do believe that it was entertaining. It brought fond memories of the movie and enjoyable music. For those that are looking for an enjoyable, but not fantastic tangled and abridged version of the movie, this would not be a bad show to see. But for those that wish to see a reincarnation of the original movie in a theatre performance, this production might not be the best choice.