DVD shows why series excelled

Fox struck a virtual goldmine last season when it acquired the breakout television hit "24," which is one of the most addicting shows I've seen since "The Sopranos." Innovative and eye-catching, the show takes place over the course of a single day, through 24 one-hour episodes.\nI had heard good things about "24" from members of the press who saw it before it began to air in November, and I watched the pilot with a high amount of anticipation. I was not disappointed. It took maybe 20 minutes before I was totally addicted to the storyline, which has federal agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) trying to protect a political candidate from an assassination attempt, while also trying to save his wife and daughter from kidnappers involved in the assassination plot.\nDespite the critical buzz, "24" almost didn't get renewed for a second season due to poor ratings. But it was such a huge underground hit that I wasn't surprised when I found out the first season was being released as a six-disc DVD boxed set. The set is chock full of the show's great episodes, but it comes up lacking special features.\nThe episodes are presented in anamorphic wide-screen format, which impressed me because it gives the fans a far better viewing experience. The picture is crisp and clear, and the audio is powerful in Dolby surround sound, all without commercial interruptions. I started watching mid-afternoon when I got the set, and before I knew it, I had watched 16 episodes and it was four in the morning. This series will engross you.\nAs good as the episodes are, the special features that were advertised before the DVDs became available are far below par. The alternate ending is two minutes long and as cheaply filmed as possible, and the only other "feature" is a minute-and-a-half monologue by Sutherland introducing the first season. The highly touted "teasers" of season two are nonexistent, unless you count Sutherland saying, "You can expect more of everything in season two." If you are planning to buy the "24" box set on advance word of great special features, back off -- you'll be disappointed.\nIf you're a viewer who jumped in mid-season, this is the best $50 you can spend. For about $8 a disc, you're receiving the entire first season of a show that will go down in television history as a true innovation to the medium. You're receiving more than 1,000 minutes of the best entertainment money can buy. Best of all, you have a chance to prep yourself before season two begins airing this month.\nIf you're looking for great television, "24" is your show. I easily recommend this box set to fans of the show and new converts alike.