Computer knocks Miami out

Miami is No. 1 just about everywhere but where it counts most -- in the Bowl Championship Series standings.\nThe Hurricanes, No. 1 since the preseason in the AP media and coaches' polls, were second behind Oklahoma in the first BCS standings released Monday. And look who's third -- Notre Dame!\nThanks to friendly computer ratings and a schedule rated toughest in the nation, the Fighting Irish are in position to make a run at the national championship.\nThe BCS standings are used to determine which teams play in a national title game. The teams that finish 1-2 in the final BCS standings on Dec. 8 will play for the title in Tempe, Ariz., at the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 3.\nNotre Dame may be No. 6 in the AP poll, but the Fighting Irish were ranked first by four of the seven computers used by the BCS. Only the top six rankings are used in the BCS calculations.\nThe best the Hurricanes could do in the computers was one second-place ranking. Miami's strength of schedule was rated 27th, but it will get stronger with upcoming games against Tennessee and Virginia Tech.\nThe Hokies were fourth, followed by Georgia, Ohio State, Washington State, Michigan, LSU and Texas. The first six teams are undefeated.\nFor the second straight year, Oklahoma starts out in first place. The Sooners, 6-0 after a 49-3 win over Iowa State, had 3.92 points -- 2 for poll average, 1.50 for computer-rank average, 0.52 for strength-of-schedule, zero for losses and a one-tenth of a point bonus deduction for a victory over Texas.