Carter joins Dolphins

MIAMI -- Cris Carter came out of retirement and out of the broadcast booth Monday to join the Miami Dolphins, signing a one-year contract to bolster their injury-depleted receiving corps.\nThe 36-year-old Carter agreed to a one-year contract with $550,000 guaranteed and $700,000 in incentives.\n"I really missed playing," he said. "When the call came, I initially said no. Then I began think about it."\nFollowing a news conference to announce the signing, Carter reported for his first team meeting. He'll have two weeks to get ready for Miami's next game at Green Bay on Nov. 4.\nCarter retired in May and had been working on HBO's "Inside the NFL." Minnesota Vikings receiver Randy Moss applauded his ex-teammate's return to the league.\n"I love it!" Moss said. "And I think a lot of football teams he's been making comments about will love it, too."\nCarter is the NFL's second all-time leading receiver with 1,093 catches for 13,833 yards and 129 touchdowns. The 15-year veteran had 73 catches for 871 yards and six touchdowns last season with Minnesota.\n"I think it's going to be a great addition to our team," Miami coach Dave Wannstedt said. "It's probably going to take him a couple of weeks to learn the offense and get in playing shape. How quick all that happens will determine how much he plays."\nThe Dolphins (5-2) lead the AFC East but are coming off a 23-10 loss Sunday to Buffalo. Miami's passing game has been staggered by the loss of quarterback Jay Fiedler and receivers Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden to injuries.\nChambers (concussion) is expected back for the Green Bay game, but Gadsden plans to have surgery Tuesday to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist, and he'll miss the rest of the season.\nGadsden decided to undergo the operation rather than play with injury when the Dolphins declined to give him the contract extension he sought. He was placed on injured reserve Monday.