Brand thought he had no chance

In terms of job searching, IU President Myles Brand isn't much different than the students he has presided over for eight years.\nLike those who feel a job isn't even worth the application -- at least initially, Myles could identify. \nHe never thought he had a chance.\nBecoming NCAA president wasn't something he desperately wanted or thought was possible 10 months ago, said his wife, Peg Brand.\nLast January at their home in the center of campus The Indianapolis Star arrived at their front steps as it does every morning alongside the Indiana Daily Student. Peg opened the sports section as she said she often does and inside was the announcement that the NCAA was looking for a new president.\nPeg showed the article to Myles.\n"I said 'look at this'," Peg remembers. "He said, 'Oh isn't that interesting, they would never hire a person like me, but it sounds really interesting to work on changes at the national level'." \nPeg said they put the topic aside after that conversation. The two would find out later that Myles was nominated by an outside source for the position, which Peg said was not uncommon for Myles when high profile positions had an opening. He agreed to accept the nomination.\nPeg said that for her husband, being put in the position for another job was strange because he was so happy at IU. Peg said he had accomplished many of his goals such as the formation of the School of Informatics and the $105 million Lily Foundation Grant. He had established a network that included a new chancellor.\n"So he knew if anything it would have to be something really major and different," Peg said.\nShe said her and Myles would never approach an opportunity as big as the NCAA without working together. She said several times they would talk about it and then put it on the shelf only to discuss it later.\nShe said before the opportunity arose, they would spend time talking about the topics Myles is destined to encounter with his future employee.\n"I don't think some people realize how much we have talked about these issues," Peg said. "I mean there was a time I was going to class with a police escort, so I have very serious thoughts about the impact of athletics on academics."\nEventually the NCAA eliminated all but four people for the position. A week ago at about 5:00 p.m. Peg and her husband were in their house. She was reading the IDS, and he was writing e-mail. They knew a press conference would be held in 30-minutes which would make the decision public. At 5:15 p.m. Myles received a phone call. Peg said she looked at him and waited for a sign as he talked \nHe gave her a thumbs up.\nFifteen minutes later the announcement was made at a press conference.\n"There wasn't even enough time to make phone calls, basically," she said.\nThroughout the process, Peg said Myles was always considerate of the impact leaving IU would have on his wife's career at IU, and she returned the favor.\n"I prepped him for everything," she said jokingly.\nPeg said she has no doubt her husband will do well at the NCAA, and that both she and him are looking forward to being able to take their philosophy on college athletics to the grandest stage.\n"We have always always thought that what it is always about is the student athlete -- student coming before the athlete," Peg said. "The NCAA is national college athletics, and we are happy to be -- especially him in the official role -- devoted to working on what will affect students nationally"