'United We Stand'

Memories of 9/11 inspire team

For most Americans, the date Sept. 11 manifests a multitude of feelings. From thoughts of loss and fear to an inspired sense of patriotism and national unity, Americans faced the tragedy and dealt with it in their own way. One year later, coach Amy Robertson and the field hockey team still use the emotions and a motto provoked by Sept. 11 to inspire greater team unity. \n"I think now it (9/11) has brought us together as the whole country came together," Robertson said. "We kind of have a microcosm of that on our team. Our actual motto this year is 'United We Stand.' Our theme is really depending on each other, supporting one another, accepting each other for our differences, and trying to be as united as we can."\nFollowing last year's tragedy, perspectives and priorities readily changed around a Hoosier squad that was focused on building the program's foundations in only its second year of existence. In 2002, priorities remain altered towards the sport they love.\n"It definitely changed people and our team," Robertson said. "But I think one thing I learned from it is you have to still go on with life. It was really hard last year when that happened. It deeply affected me and certainly gave me that perspective of gratitude and being so thankful for the country I live in."\nSophomore Jamie Baldwin recalls that on the afternoon of Sept. 11, the field hockey team didn't practice and instead began to reflect on what happened.\n"I just remember last year on Sept. 11 we came to practice and Amy (Robertson) set us all around in a circle and we didn't have practice," Baldwin said. "We talked about the events and how it affected us."\nBaldwin did not think that the event would still be weighing on their minds a year later.\n"I can tell that a year later this sort of thing is still impacting us a lot," Baldwin said. "It's surprising that over the whole year you'd think our attitudes would be going by the wayside. I think everybody thinks about it every single day, and I think it will be that way for a while."\nOne Hoosier experienced an especially difficult situation last fall. Sophomore Brooke Evans, who hails from New Canaan, Conn., found it particularly hard to cope with being in the midwest while the attacks took place close to her home. Evans feels that field hockey provided her with an outlet for her grief.\n"Being someone from the east coast, I remember last year it was hard because there were only a few people that I could connect with," Evans said. "Playing field hockey was a good way to get frustration and anger out."\nEvans echoes many other Americans by believing that the events of Sept. 11 have caused her to not take anything for granted.\n"Being able to play and being at a good school, you realize what you have," Evans said. "The event brought my family together and brought me to realize where my priorities are"