Jazz duo heats up Malibu Grill

With the clouds hanging low over Bloomington and a steady drizzle keeping all but the most industrious people indoors, the music coming from inside the Malibu Grill Thursday was quite enticing. Piano and bass duo Paul Johnston and Steve Johnson entertained a small but loyal audience of jazz enthusiasts. Oh, and they managed to impress this lone music reviewer to boot.\nThe duo spent the evening playing a mixture of both popular and lesser known jazz arrangements, keeping the music interesting through the entire set. Paul Johnston's flowing piano really got the people to listen, while Steve Johnson's jazz bass kept the groove in overdrive. The result was an enjoyable combination of good old-fashioned upbeat lounge jazz with a solid taste of soul to round out the mix.\nWhat kept my attention was the way the two kept the music moving, changing, evolving so to speak. Never once did I find myself uninterested. They played a solid set of both slower and more upbeat arrangements, and took the time to tailor their choices around the crowd's reactions.\nTheir skill in jazz performance was easily evident. Johnston's fingers moved up and down the octaves as through the ivory keys were an extra appendage, and I was enthralled. It is difficult to listen to a good pianist and not know the level of their skill in a short time. And when an artist knows their instrument, they become free to probe the audience and that is what creates good musical ambience.\nIt helped that Johnson knew his bass as well as his bandmate knew his instrument. Although due to the nature of the jazz arrangements it often sounded as though he was playing a different song, Johnson managed to show the ability a jazz artist has to shake up a good melody. I was impressed, and clearly so were the applauding listeners.\nI don't know how often this duo performs live, but if you get the opportunity to hear the music of Johnson and Johnston, take advantage of it. You're sure to find something to enjoy, if jazz has even a small hold on you.\nFor more Johnson and Johnston performance dates see href="http://www.jazzfrombloomington.org">www.jazzfrombloomington.org