Hoosiers travel to Ball State for Yestingsmeier Invitational

The men's golf team will have another chance to compete this weekend, when they participate for the first time in the Earl Yestingsmeier Invitational at The Players Club in Yorktown, Ind. The Invitational will be hosted by Ball State University and will feature a shotgun start Saturday morning at 8 a.m. The golfers have scheduled tee times from 7:30 to 9 a.m. on Sunday morning.\n"Practice these two weeks has been invigorating," senior Aldo Jordan said. "I am excited to get out on the course again."\nThe Hoosiers will compete against Akron, Austin Peay, Butler, Bowling Green, Cleveland State, Creighton, Detroit Mercy, Eastern Kentucky, IUPUI, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Western Kentucky and Wright State at the tournament. \nSenior captain Ben Davidson said the competition, consisting of smaller schools, will work to the Hoosiers advantage.\n"We are looking forward to this weekend," Davidson said. "It's not the strongest of fields, and we have the idea of winning." \nSophomore Jeff Overton said the field didn't guarantee a victory, but that the team has a great chance to take home a win.\n"Because it is an easier field the other teams will have a chance as well," Overton said. "We just have to be the best team, and go out and do it."\nWhen conditions are good, the course has traditionally produced some low scores. This could allow some of the weaker teams to compete for the top position. \nWith competitive golf programs Ball State, Eastern Kentucky and Western Kentucky taking part, coach Mike Mayer said the victory will not be handed to them, but it is reachable.\n"We can go and win this tournament," Mayer said. "It's not going to be handed to us so we have to play very, very well, and shoot extremely low numbers."\nThe five golfers coach Mayer has chosen to play this weekend are seniors Michael Miller, Davidson, Jordan and sophomores Heath Peters and Overton. In addition to the regular team tournament, the Yestingsmeir Invitational has an individual tournament, in which junior Ryan Cassidy will be IU's lone representative. \nThe Hoosiers finished seventh at the Badger Invitational on Sept. 8. During the off week, the majority of the golfers worked on their short game. Some of the players said putting has been one of their weak spots all season and have looked to improve that area of their game. \n"Everyone is playing well, and working pretty hard," Miller said. "I'm working on my consistency, and putting. I'm, actually feeling really comfortable putting."\nThe Hoosiers said they are confident about the coming weekend, looking for their first victory since the Legends Intercollegiate during the 2000-2001 golf season. \n"We all have the potential and desire to win," said Jordan. "There is something in the air this week. We will do well"