Freshman making early impact

Kerr starts at middle linebacker as freshman

In Saturday's 39-29 win over Central Michigan, IU was led by a strong defensive effort in the second half. The Hoosier defense is a very young squad with several freshmen getting serious playing time. One of those freshman is John Kerr, who had eight tackles Saturday. \nKerr is making an immediate impact. He started the season as the outside linebacker but has done the most damage since moving to middle linebacker. Despite being a little undersized, the 6-foot, 240-pound Kerr always seems to be around the ball.\n"I'd take four more inches and 30 more pounds if I could get it, but God dealt him that," defensive coordinator Tim Kish said. "He's perfect for us. He has a real nose for the ball inside the tackle box."\nKerr said it has more to do with the position he plays than his instincts. The middle linebacker position is expected to be involved in every play. Kerr said that the position is all about pursuit.\nSophomore linebacker Herana-Daze Jones said he likes playing alongside Kerr because he is an exciting player and is very serious about football. He also likes the fact the the defense is very young.\n"We will only grow closer together," Jones said. "We'll know the system, and we'll know each others' strengths and where each other has to be. There will be a lot of camaraderie."\nKerr said when he came to visit IU, he knew he wanted to be a Hoosier. He said he believed in the system that coach Gerry DiNardo was putting into place.\n"When you talk to those guys, you know they are going to build a winner here," Kerr said. "If you have a leader like coach DiNardo who's hell-bent on winning a national title, you know it's going to happen. We're going to end up being winners around here."\nSenior Joe Gonzalez also had an important role in landing Kerr at IU. Gonzalez and Kerr attended the same high school in Ohio. Although they didn't know each other before Kerr came for his visit, Gonzalez made an impression on Kerr.\n"He was another convincing factor," Kerr said. "I believed what he said because he was from my high school, and I know his brother real well. When he told me things were going to turn around here, I believed him because he was here firsthand experiencing this team."\nJones said he is not surprised that Kerr and the other freshman have been given so much playing time. He said they were given the chance to earn playing time over the summer. Kish said you never know what to expect from freshmen.\n"What is he, 12 weeks out of high school, and he's starting for us," Kish said. "He's had to make a quick adjustment to the speed of the game, and I think he's done a real good job with that. I knew he had the possibility of helping us. Ultimately, they've worked their way into starting roles."\nKerr said he isn't surprised that he has been able to contribute this early in his career. It all has to do with mindset.\n"I think everybody expects to play," Kerr said. "If you don't expect to play, you probably in the wrong place. Your goal should always be to be the best. That's my goal. They've given me the opportunity to step-up, and I've stepped up"