Field hockey falls to BSU again

The Hoosiers fell to 2-5 over the weekend after losing to Ball State for the second time this season, 1-0. \nSimilar to the first game between the two, IU was dominated on the offensive side. The Hoosiers were outshot 22-2 in the first contest on Sept. 6 and were outshot 27-3 on Saturday in Muncie, Ind. The Cardinals also gained more penalty corners, defeating IU in that category, 19-4. \nDespite their complete offensive domination, BSU managed only one goal against goaltender Molly Pulkrabek. Just four minutes into the game senior BSU forward, Allison Haynes, rattled the cage to put the Cardinals on top for good. \n"To be honest, I was really disappointed in our play today," BSU coach Jen Halliday said in a statement. "To outshoot a team by the margin that we did, plus have 19 corners with only one goal shows that we were not executing. I thought Indiana did a really nice job of packing it in on us defensively, and we were lucky to get out of here with a win."\nIU coach Amy Robertson said she was disappointed. \n"We were trying to do the right things, but there was a lack of confidence on our part," Robertson said. "We just need to trust our abilities and play our game."\nDespite the defeat, there were some positives in Saturday's game. Pulkrabek, who led the Big Ten in saves and saves per game going into the contest, turned in another stellar performance. She had 17 saves. \n"Molly kept her composure in the game and stayed calm," Robertson said. \nIU did play well in spots, but couldn't keep it together. \n"We had some nice combinations; they were in pieces though," Robertson said. "We used the width of the field and made some nice passes, but what plagued us the most was that when we lost the ball on defense we weren't trying hard enough to get it back."\nLack of offensive execution has been a problem all year long for the Hoosiers. Going into Saturday's contest with Ball State, IU ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten in every offensive category. They are dead last in both shots and goals scored. \nThey head back to the road on Sept. 28 to face Georgetown, and then head to Penn State to open up Big Ten play against the No. 7 Nittany Lions.