Comedic play addresses eating disorders

Wendy MacLeod's play "School Girl Figure," a social satire on eating disorders, opens at the Bloomington Playwright's Project this Friday. In this dark comedy, the high school "in-crowd" is the "thin crowd." At this high school, girls are competing to be the thinnest.\n"It's a high school where the girls are competing to disappear," MacLeod said. "The thinnest girl gets the school hottie, and then gets to die, so death is sort of an accomplishment."\nMacLeod said she understands that some may view her comedy as controversial, but she realizes that eating disorders are a growing societal problem.\n"The audience should begin by thinking, 'What's wrong with this playwright?'" MacLeod said. "And then when I have made them laugh they should think 'What's wrong with me?' and when the play is over they should think 'What's wrong with us as a society?'"\nThis season each member of the BPP's board of directors "adopted" a play to help guide its production. President Karen Van Arsdale chose this piece because her daughter is a student of MacLeod's at Kenyon College. She also said the topic of eating disorders was an important subject to address. \n"In reading the script, I immediately saw that the subject of eating disorders has particular significance for me as a social worker," Van Arsdale said. "I rallied a diverse group of psychiatrists and psychotherapists, social workers and psychologists to join together to sponsor this play with their financial contributions."\nBecause of these contributions, there will be a panel discussion on Sunday, Sept. 22, featuring local experts on eating disorders and a certified nutritionist. In addition, educational materials on the disease will be provided at every show. Van Arsdale said the higher percentage of eating disorders in Bloomington is a result of the population of the University. She said anorexia and bulimia tend to be disorders of the young, but that influence is starting to spill out into other areas of the community. She said she feels this play will increase awareness about the seriousness of the disorders.\n"I believe the impact of the play's message will get people talking about eating disorders, about the dangers of such disorders and about the nasty messages our society sends to people who don't look like models or screen stars," Van Arsdale said. "If, by attending the play, just one person changes attitudes about eating disorders or is motivated to help someone they know with an eating disorder, we will have accomplished our goal."\nThe play is directed by Rick Fonte and stars past BPP performers and newcomers, including Anne Acker, Lyndsey Anderson, Kim Chapman, Tenaya Hurst and Brad Fletcher. The cast is rounded out by set designer Mark Smith, lighting designer Rick Todd and costume designer Rebecca Jerrell. Fonte took on this project after "falling in love with it" at the world premiere at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago in 2000. \nHe said people's body images are skewed, and he hopes the play will make an impression, if not a change.\n"Eating disorders run unchecked through the youth of America, and the media only serves to further it," Fonte said. "This show is not going to convert you, it's going to make you laugh. And then its going to make you angry. And, hopefully, it will make you think."\nThe play will be in Bloomington from Friday, Sept. 13 to Sunday, Sept 29. The BPP is located at 312 S. Washington St. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for students and seniors.