Saturday, June 15

A campus remembers

The flags fluttering at half staff today will be the first indication that something has changed, followed by the four peals of bells at midmorning: 8:45 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 9:40 a.m. And finally, nearly one year and two hours after network newsreels showed a disbelieving public the sort of nightmarish destruction extremist terrorist networks are capable of, the Metz carillon will send out one last lonely call at 10:37 a.m. With each tone, the campus community will be reminded of that which it can never forget -- the four attacks on American soil composing the events of Sept. 11.\nTo commemorate the attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, IU will host a myriad of campuswide events -- the capstone of which is a remembrance ceremony at 4 p.m. at Showalter Fountain. Three students will be awarded Sept. 11 memorial scholarships made possible by the IU Student Foundation. \nFaculty and student representatives will provide readings and reflections to the tune of musical offerings from the School of Music and the African American Arts Institute. President Myles Brand and Chancellor Sharon Brehm will provide remarks as well.\n"It is important for us to come together as a campus and a community to share our thoughts about these tragic, life-changing events," Brand said in a statement. "Our students, faculty and staff joined in a shared sense of humanity and purpose in the days and weeks following Sept. 11. We intend to renew that spirit on this anniversary."\nThe IU Art Museum will open a special public tour at 5:30 p.m. entitled "One World Many Views," in which objects from various religious faiths will be on display. Dr. Guy Edward Maxedon, Art Museum Lucienne M. Glaubinger curator for education, said the museum wanted to plan a program appropriate to Sept. 11 that would showcase what the art museum does best -- "to look at examples of art in the original from the museum's collection, in this case which reflects the various religious ideals that comprise American society."\nObjects in the exhibit range from Renaissance panel paintings to Islamic plates to Buddhist statues.\n"This artwork, (which) one might first identify as religious in nature, reflects the ideas and ideals that have built and sustained civilizations over the millennia and are found in the fabric of American society today," Maxedon said. "We are, indeed, one nation with many views."\nThe School of Education will sponsor a Web broadcast of a previously recorded panel discussion entitled "Implications of Sept. 11 for Education." Described by School of Education Dean and panel moderator Gerardo Gonzalez as a "free flowing conversation on personal perspectives dealing with the effects of Sept. 11 on education," the panel will consist of professors, teachers and graduate students with personal and professional stakes in the events of Sept. 11.\nProfessor of Counseling and Educational Psychology Tom Sexton will discuss the psychological ramifications of Sept. 11 during the discussion. Sexton, a licensed psychologist specializing in families and at-risk adolescents, also served as director of the Center for Human Growth in the School of Education.\nAmy Seely Flint, assistant professor of Language Education, will talk about the role of writing plays in curriculum. Her research focuses upon the role of teachers in inviting students to "inquire, examine, interrogate and reflect upon the commonplace text and experience," Gonzalez said.\nPanelist Margaret Sutton, an assistant professor in educational leadership and policy studies, has worked extensively with educational systems in Asia and Africa and will discuss her research and findings gleaned from her international experience. Bloomington South High School social studies teacher Matt Hoagland rounds out the panel. Hoagland teaches world history with a unit on Islam at South; prior to his teaching career, he served as a platoon lieutenant in the Desert Storm deployment.\nAs racial profiling becomes more prevalent in U.S. society, Gonzalez said the "danger that bias and prejudice will raise their ugly heads in the current climate." A Cuban immigrant strapped with educational roadblocks from an early age, he once told IU Home Pages interviewers he "learned to keep his mouth shut" when faced with prejudice at school. Yet since Sept. 11, he said he's seen an outpouring of support -- not the hate he encountered as a child.\n"I saw a lot more expressions of concern and offers of assistance immediately following the events of Sept. 11 than expressions of hate," Gonzalez said. "Of course, the post-Sept. 11 policy changes and security processes being implemented may restrict educational access for some students, particularly international students."\nHe said he remains hopeful that no eligible student will be denied educational access based on demographic characteristics.\n"America offers the best system of higher education anywhere in the world, and our freedom, peace and democracy in a global community depends on having educated citizens," he said. \nGonzalez fingered college students in particular as among those with a particular duty to remember the events of Sept. 11.\n"The events of Sept. 11 have transformed our world. The way we in America think about politics, religion, international affairs and life itself, among others, have changed," Gonzalez said. "Education is a process by which not only subject area knowledge but also culture is transmitted … college students today are the leaders of tomorrow. They have a special responsibility to remember, reflect, and to the extent possible help create a world that will not repeat the horrific events of Sept. 11."\nEvening events include an interfaith service of remembrance at 8 p.m. in Dunn Meadow as well as a candlelight vigil at 7:30 p.m. on the front lawn of the Delta Delta Delta sorority house, 818 E. Third Street. \nSenior Julie Doi, vice president of public relations at Tri-Delt, said both a capella groups Ladies First and Straight No Chaser will be performing. The event is open to the entire campus.\nThe IU Student Association, the largest student organization on campus, also has a commemoration event planned for tonight.\nAt 7:30 p.m., there will be an open discussion held at the Neal-Marshall Black Cultural Center featuring student leaders from various cultural groups, including the Black Student Union and the Asian American Association, on campus focusing on the concept of being an American after Sept. 11.\nFollowing the discussion, a debate between the College Democrats and Republicans will cover topics such as homeland security and the war on terrorism.\nFollowing those events, a vigil will be held at Showalter Fountain, where a unity statement will be made.\n"The discussion and debate will be pretty emotionally charged," said Marshawn Wolley, a senior and chief of staff at IUSA. "For our generation, this is probably one of the most impacting events of our lives, and it's important for all students to attend these events together."\nIDS Reporter Maura Halpern contributed to this report.