Pacino shines but 'Simone' falls flat

Who is Simone? That's the question on everyone's mind as they leave the movie, directed by Andrew Niccol and featuring veteran actor Al Pacino. "Simone," a fun satire of the Hollywood film industry, makes its point, but falls somehow flat in the process.\nDuring the entire first half of the film, the viewers find themselves asking what on earth possessed them to come to this slightly less than inventive and overall obtuse movie. The second half, however, becomes a little more rewarding when the understated motive of the film becomes more apparent. In taking itself seriously, "Simone" manages to ridicule Hollywood more effectively than had the mockery been overt. \nPacino, reveling in the role of failing director Viktor Taransky, gave his usual excellent performance. It wasn't really anything to gasp about simply because the script was lacking, but he seemed to do the best he could with what he had. His portrayal of a disillusioned director seeking art and finding himself among the sets and scandals of Hollywood is accurate to the tee. \nDisappointed with the decline of the actors and actresses in Hollywood, fired from his job by his boss (and ex-wife) and clinging desperately to the remainders of his last film, Taransky finds an unexpected source of hope in Hank, a scientist in search of an artist to share his vision. Hank, who has an inoperable tumor that conveniently kills him after his first and only brief appearance, has digitally created the perfect actress. A combination of all the best actresses through history, she is always on time, always looks perfect, doesn't talk back and requires neither maintenance nor rehab. Not to mention the public loves her. \nThe story takes off from Simone's conception onscreen. Taransky gives her life in hopes that she will help him achieve the recognition he has always longed for. He ends up creating a fantasy that won't die. The film clings to Rachel Roberts' onscreen persona with a tenacity that is mildly amusing. Even at the film's end, when everyone is waiting for the credits to tell them who in the world Simone is, the credits scroll past with the mildly infuriating, "Simone: as herself." Horsepucky. "Simone: Rachel Roberts," is a little more like it. \nIn any case, all performances, from Roberts' Simone to Catherine Keener's Elaine (head of the studio), are more than adequate, and the movie is enjoyable, but this is definitely one to wait for video to see. There are no special effects that need the big screen and it's not worth the price. It's not so much that the film doesn't achieve its goal -- because it does, quite effectively. It's just that the premise just wasn't all that interesting to begin with. In other words, it's an amusing way to pass the time, but don't go out of your way.