A "Masterplan" for the future

$40 million student-athlete center focus of campus consolidation

As Director of Athletics Michael McNeely takes his daily jog, he notices a part of campus that doesn't seem to fit, a section of campus that seems miles away from the University's dormitories and classroom buildings. \nThat section is the current northwest block of the University's athletics department and plans are underway to blend that block into an extension of campus, making it look and feel more a part of the University.\nThe "Masterplan" is the brainchild of McNeely and has two main goals.\n"One, how can we better integrate this part of campus with the main part of campus?" McNeely said. "The second is how can we better create a synergy with the program here?"\nThe current plan will attempt to consolidate the 11 athletic facilities of the University into a tight, universal block. The softball and baseball diamonds will be moved toward the northwest side of the current tennis courts, to make them closer to the the other facilities.\nMemorial Stadium will also get a facelift with added seating on the north side of the stadium, making the stands into a U-shape.\nBut the focal point of the plan will be the addition of a $40 million student-athlete center, directly at the heart of the athletics block.\n"The idea is here that either an alum or a student or someone thinking about coming to school, they can come into this facility and really relive the traditions and IU Athletics and what makes it a special place," McNeely said.\nHe said the center will be a state-of-the-art facility designed to create an athletic focus for the University, a place where students and faculty can naturally interact.\n"There's that connection that when you're there, people will start to recognize each other," Athletics Media Relations Director Jeff Fanter said.\nThe building, which will contain a theater and retail shops, will be a training facility for all student-athletes.\nThe plan also calls for an extension of Woodlawn Avenue, which would eventually end at 17th Street. Woodlawn would then turn into a walkway toward the student-athlete center.\n"If you're at the Memorial Union, you could either walk or potentially drive all the way up to this part of campus," McNeely said. \nThe walkway will travel past a new amphitheater, designed to hold concerts and performers throughout the year.\nThe plan will also create walking trails and tree-lined parking lots to help blend the northwest corner into a part of campus.\nThe department is looking at a five to 10 year span to put in place all of the components of the plan. Improvements have already taken place with the addition of corporate suites and club seats in Memorial Stadium, a motion approved by the Board of Trustees Saturday. A $3.5 million upgrade will improve the press box and the west stands of the stadium.\nAny other improvements must eventually be approved by the Trustees, improvements that the board seems to think are necessary.\n"Both President Brand and the Trustees are supportive in the direction Michael McNeely's going," Vice-President Bill Stephan said. "We certainly applaud the vision."\nMcNeely's vision will be solely funded by individual donors. The plan will not be funded by tax dollars or University funding.\nGibran Hamdan, a senior football player, said he believes the improvements will help attract new student-athletes, a main goal of the plan.\n"I don't think (McNeely) wants a question of 'Can we get the best student-athletes in the nation?'," Hamdan said.\nIn planning the improvements, McNeely said he kept in mind prospective students.\n"We always look through the eyes of a prospect or a prospect's parents," McNeely said.\nFanter said the excitement of the "Masterplan" has given him a new reason to work for IU Athletics.\n"Knowing that this is what we're all working toward, for the best possible atmosphere for student-athletes, to be honest, is what drives me every day I come to work," Fanter said.\nMcNeely said he hopes that within the next decade, the "Masterplan" can help vault the athletics department to greater heights.\n"We're very sensitive to providing quality opportunities for all student-athletes who come to Indiana," he said. "We aren't interested in necessarily having the biggest or the most expensive. What we want to have is quality facilities that serve the purpose of what we're trying to do here."\n\n

Pete Smith • IDS