Why do others hate us?

The devil himself couldn't have dreamt up this week's horror. Needless to say, this is hardly the end, but the beginning of something terrible. As I think about the people on the airplanes that were used to kill thousands, as I watch replays of the World Trade Center towers crashing, as I see the smoldering hole in our defense building, as I wonder what is to come, I can only think, "Why?" "Why do so many others hate us?"\nOf course, those responsible for this monstrosity are hardly representative of the ethnic or religious groups to which they belonged. We should not vent our anger toward any group, because individuals made this tragedy. Still some hate Americans and our country. "Why?"\nAre we so evil or inhuman? What is it? Do we not give money and food to countries and then forgive their debts? Have we not shed generations of blood to defeat slavery, the Nazis, communism and other forces that work to enslave? Have we not fought with ourselves to ensure equal rights and equal opportunity? Do we still not struggle to make equality still more equal? Are these the reasons that madmen blow up our buildings and kill our citizens?\nOr is it perhaps that we are rich and able to raise the standard of living for our people? Is it jealousy that kills thousands? Then why not simply come and live in America? If we are such an immoral, degenerate society, then why do millions ask to come and live here? Why do people die on little rafts trying to cross an ocean to get here? Why are we considering letting several million illegal immigrants receive immunity and stay if we are so contemptuous?\nPerhaps the answer is simpler than anything we might hear from those responsible. Perhaps the answer is that freedom of thought and action is dangerous. Perhaps having a chance to improve your life is terrifying. But dangerous and terrifying to whom? Those that control their people through force and fear? Those whose own views are so intolerant of others that they would rather kill than reason?\nI admit that we are not perfect. Our country has made mistakes that have cost people their lives and homes. But we are also a country that has striven to make our wrongs right. We have apologized to those Japanese-Americans interned in U.S. concentration camps. We've paid reparations to Native Americans. These are tokens of course, but their sincere meaning was clear.\n We might have other things to apologize for, but not for being a people that says self determination is our right. Not for being a land where people can improve their own lives as they see fit. Not for being a country that diligently works to protect a bill of rights that secures the people's freedom and liberty. And certainly not for being one of the few places on this earth where hope and the best creative spirit of man may still flourish. In this country, we are all citizens -- a word that defines our very existence.\nWe weep for our fallen citizens, but we are still committed to our democracy. And those that hate us and commit such unspeakable horrors will know the full measure of our resolve.