Tridelphia avoids Phishy sound of jam bands

IU sophomores' band brings jazz-fusion style to Bloomington

To hear guitarist Dave Miller say that his band's big mainstream influence is Phish might cause many to roll their eyes. Being a "Phish-influenced" band conjures up connotations of a typical college rock band. But to make that assumption would be selling Tridelphia short.\nThe influence of Phish is not subtle, but neither is it primary to the sound of the band. Where other college jam-bands try mightily to sound as much like Phish as they can, Tridelphia uses the name as a reference point for those who have not heard their focused take on jazz and rock and roll.\nThough it's only been together for about a month-and-a-half, Tridelphia has formed into a tight unit as a band. That the band's sound is built on improvisation makes it all the more impressive.\nTridelphia has its roots in Valparaiso, Ind., where Miller and bassist Ryan Allen went to high school together. \n"As long as I've been playing, Ryan has been playing, and we have been playing together," Miller said.\nNow, as sophomores at IU, they've joined with drummer Evan Kresman to form their band. \n"Since Ryan and Dave have been playing together so long, it made it really easy for me to come into this group," Kresman said.\nKresman, who came to IU from the Philadelphia area, was originally headed for the School of Music. A lack of formal training and an irregular technique kept him from being admitted, but he was able to develop a unique sound and style despite his awkward approach to the drums. \n"Of course I've been listening to rock and roll longer than anything else," Miller said of his influences, "but then I started listening to other things like jazz and Indian classical music. Of course we all love Phish, but we have other goals too. I really like modern jazz like Medeski, Martin and Wood or Charlie Hunter. Really, though, we just have our own sound." \nIn their short amount of time together, the band members have built an impressive catalog of material. Miller is the songwriter of the group but insists he merely writes the melodies and his band is able to fill in around it. \n"Dave has a really unique style of writing," Allen said. "It's very rhythmic. He's also gotten a lot better and continues to improve."\nNinety-five percent of what the band plays at shows is original, Miller said.\nTheir stage shows display a band steadily gaining confidence. They play regular shows Tuesdays at Uncle Fester's, and play regularly at Cafe Django. \nThe band's songs have typically been mixtures of straight rock and a Mahavishnu Orchestra-like take on jazz. Their sound projects an allegiance to rock and roll that Miller's compositions don't seem to be shooting for. But the more developed compositions suggest an important new step for jazz-fusion. \nTheir songs also envelop the long list of influences Miller is able to rattle off. The band's repertoire includes a Santana-like Latin dance song, songs with Western Classical quotes and the irregular, obscure cover of someone like Dave Brubeck or John Schofield. \nTridelphia is at its best while playing an addictive groove music that allows Miller free range to develop his songs' themes. He shows a remarkable knack for creating unique melodies and an addictive dance groove.\n"I hate to see people not reacting to our music, I want them to move and to dance," Miller said. "The worst thing is to see someone sitting still and not knowing what they think."\nTridelphia is interested in building a local following and relying on word of mouth to bring attention to the band. So far, the crowds have been relatively large for weekday shows, and despite few and unpublicized shows, the band is getting attention from its peers. \n"I'm really impressed with the skill level of each musician," said senior Christian Felabom, who has seen the band three times. "They are so tight and consistently interesting."\nTridelphia has come a long way in a short time, and is continuing to develop. The band insists it doesn't wish to remain a trio much longer. The members are interested in experimenting with piano and brass or even a vocalist.\nMiller wants listeners to understand band members consider themselves more than a jam band.\n"I don't just play chords, we don't play ballads, we are trying to be a tight groove and jazz band," Miller said. Built from superior musicianship and an eye on progression rather than on the past, they are advancing at a torrid pace.